Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Trackpad or Mouse Best for Photo Editing

I recently ordered a new 27" iMac with the Magic Trackpad. i went with the trackpad because the gesture shortcuts seemed appealing. However I'm not sure how well it will work for editing photos, particularly as it relates to precise selections, painting, and erasing. Does anyone have experience using the trackpad and can provide some insight on how it compares with the mouse for photo editing?

thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mid 2007

Posted on Oct 31, 2015 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 1:05 PM

For my photo editing, its magic mouse all the way. I never could dial in the track pad to where I liked it. But it is really a preference thing. I'm sure some here would swear by the Trackpad for photo editing. Me, I got frustrated trying to click and drag and getting mistakes. I gave it a few months then put the Trackpad in a drawer. The real kicker for me was I could never get the Trackpad to balance range of stroke with ability to select exactly what pixels I wanted.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2015 1:05 PM in response to ToastyFlake

For my photo editing, its magic mouse all the way. I never could dial in the track pad to where I liked it. But it is really a preference thing. I'm sure some here would swear by the Trackpad for photo editing. Me, I got frustrated trying to click and drag and getting mistakes. I gave it a few months then put the Trackpad in a drawer. The real kicker for me was I could never get the Trackpad to balance range of stroke with ability to select exactly what pixels I wanted.

Nov 1, 2015 1:06 PM in response to ToastyFlake

I use a Logitech trabckpad and I find it is just too hard to dial in the precision needed for apps that demand precision input.

It's hard to setup the right speed and tracking settings using both the manufacturer's preferences settngs and using the built in settngs in Mac OS X.

I use a Wacom tablet with various pens and I, also use its precision 3 button mouse, too!

A mouse for precision work, I feel, is much better input device for that kind of precision work than a trackpad.

I use my trackpad for general use computing sessions where I don't need to worry about precision placements or precision movements.

Magic Trackpad or Mouse Best for Photo Editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.