Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV and av-receiver no video signal

Hi,

I've bought the newest AppleTV (4. Generation). The rest of my setup is:

AV-receiver: Denon AVR-X1000

Projector: BenQ W700 DLP

AppleTV --> Denon AVR --> BenQ Projector

The devices are connected by premium hdmi cables. When I connect all parts my projector recognizes the input signal of the denon receiver or apple tv. I'm hearing the sound through my denon receiver but only see a black projection. My denon receiver is doing something with my video signal..

When I connect my AppleTV directly to my projector I see a flawless projection.

I also tried several AppleTV configurations (different resolutions or hdmi-modes).

Thanks for help,

krnsixd.

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 9:43 AM

I think I have a similar issue. My new Apple TV 4 loses HDMI connection to my TV when I connect through my Sony AV receiver.

I get initial connection, but then it will lose audio and video of maybe 30 seconds every couple of minutes.

The AV receiver works fine with my Apple TV 3, and the Apple TV 4 works with a direct HDMI connection to the TV ....

Loving the siri interface, but am hoping this gets fixed along with the ability to pair with an iPhone / iPad for remote keypad use.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2015 9:43 AM in response to krnsixd

I think I have a similar issue. My new Apple TV 4 loses HDMI connection to my TV when I connect through my Sony AV receiver.

I get initial connection, but then it will lose audio and video of maybe 30 seconds every couple of minutes.

The AV receiver works fine with my Apple TV 3, and the Apple TV 4 works with a direct HDMI connection to the TV ....

Loving the siri interface, but am hoping this gets fixed along with the ability to pair with an iPhone / iPad for remote keypad use.

Nov 21, 2015 11:51 AM in response to dour

My new Apple TV 4 loses HDMI connection to my TV when I connect through my Sony AV receiver.

That would tend to indicate that the receiver (or possibly the cables used) are the issue if t works fine if you do not go though it.

That would likely be the cable(s) have a short, or lose connector. Or possible that ATV has a bad port.

Nov 23, 2015 8:24 AM in response to Brian Cook4

Thanks, except the receiver works perfectly well with every other input, as do the multiple HDMI cables I've tried. Possibly the ATV4 has a bad port, but then it works when connected directly. More likely is that there is some interaction between some of the receivers mentioned here and ATV4 implementation of the signalling. (IMHO)

Nov 24, 2015 6:10 PM in response to krnsixd

I have the same issue. My receiver is a Marantz SR7002. My old Apple TV 3 works fine with my setup, but with the new ATV4, I only get broken sound... no video signal.

I called Apple Support, and the conclusion was that it's a compatibility issue with my receiver. The new Apple software is conflicting with my receiver. They recommended that I contact Marantz for a solution. What the **** is Marantz going to do?! Replace components? Apple should update their software so it's compatible with receivers.

I'll be returning the Apple TV for a refund. Should've known better to buy a new model right out of the gate. Better to wait, so they get the kinks worked out.

Nov 24, 2015 7:59 PM in response to Blackseaweed

Its unlikely that Marantz can or will do anything. If your receiver is capable of firmware updates you could check to see if one is available.

The biggest issue though is that its impossible for Apple to test against the myriad of home theatre equipment combinations and brands and as this is a new hardware product there was no way to run a public beta on the 1.0 release of tvOS.

In addition I've read that not all manufactures have implemented HDMI spec exactly the same way and it goes by many different names. The spec has also been updated over time with HDMI. See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

I've had inconsistent results trying to control my Sony receiver and tv via the Apple TV 4 using CEC. Its mostly working now for power on and off but I'm still seeing strange behaviour like my Sony receiver randomly muting itself and the TV switching between external audio and internal speakers all the time. Given what I stated above I'm willing to give it some time but I really hope that Apple can solve most of these issues with software updates.

AppleTV and av-receiver no video signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.