Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change AppleTV 4's Hideous Background?

So I got my new ATV4 on Friday, and so far so good, however going from a black background on the ATV3 to the white background on the ATV4 was a mistake. It's horrendous looking, and causes all kinds of washout. I thought something was wrong with mine at first and ended up wiping it out and starting over to fix it.

The background makes the interface look like it's a beta. The Netflix icon gets washed out, apps using white text get washed out. It's terrible.

Does anyone know a way to correct this gross oversight and change the background color?

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 6:10 AM

11 replies

Nov 1, 2015 6:21 AM in response to Tony.Andreoli

I like the new look so I guess it comes down to personal taste. The Apple website has had screen shots of the new UI since the product announcement so this change shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. There is currently no ability to change to a dark theme UI that I'm aware of. You can submit a feedback request here. http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Nov 1, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Protodd

Thanks all. Unfortunately for me, it just seems too abrasive, and it looks incomplete. Looking at the main screen, the Photos and Netflix icons are both white, and since icons don't have any borders, they just blend into the background. and doesn't get much better when you select it.

Inside the App Store app, there are three options across the top, Featured, Purchased, and Search, however, it only looks like there are two, because the selected one changes color to white on a white background, making it totally invisible.

And when looking at movies at tv shows, several items in some of the descriptions are white or pale with white print over a white background. They only show somewhat visible when you scroll the screen, or over the object.

Is everyone else seeing these things, or is it just me?

Thanks, Tony

Nov 1, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Tony.Andreoli

Tony - you may want to look at your TV set-up. Sounds like your TV may be burning out mid-grey to white. When I go into the App Store I have a mid-grey strip at the top with a white selected section, and the other two selections in dark grey (almost black). The selected section certainly doesn't disappear.

However I can imagine if you have a visual impairment this reduced contrast wouldn't be helpful - so maybe an alternate high contrast colour scheme could be added for accessibility purposes?

Nov 1, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Tony.Andreoli

Thanks for everyone's help. The TV was set for Vivid video (as opposed to Standard or Cinema). Setting it back to standard caused the washout to stop and the whites to become grey, so the Netflix and App Store icons show up right, and the options across the top of the App store show up right.

Ok, I take back most of what I said, the on screen keyboard still blows though ;-)

Thanks again,

Tony

Change AppleTV 4's Hideous Background?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.