Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how does one activate media key functionality?

Just purchased yet another Apple extended (wired) keyboard. Spent the last hour trying to get the media keys to function (vs function key function) Yes, the keyboard preferences are sent to F-key off. Tried a half dozen Google searches - got absolutely nothing relevant (except for windows/bootcamp) BS, REALLY frustrating. This keyboard is supposedly set default for the media keys to work. It isn't and have wasted half of a morning ,,, **** Apple, when did you abandon plug and play?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11), PPC G4 10,1 , and 3 other Macs

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 9:23 AM

9 replies

Nov 1, 2015 9:49 AM in response to lonewolfmtn

Where'd ya get the Apple Extended? New? Used?

Really on Tiger OS X?

All your Macs ? (all OS X's would help)

When you say "media keys", do you mean the Sound & Brightness controls or something else?

(it's been a long time since i had one, but I spent many years on AEKs - I also had buddies that had EKs with a bunch of the 'keys' replaced with color-coded functions for Media Composer)

searching

do you use Google Site Search? search site:support.apple.com - Google Search - you can change the subdomain to 'discussions' - 'help' - or remove it completely to widen the search

I am having trouble finding the string "media keys" - "media" = yes, but it seems related to the "Media Eject" key

Nov 1, 2015 10:19 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Purchased from apple, "fulfilled by Amazon" NEW!

This is on OS X 10.4.11 _ and yes that is Tiger - "Really" - I have very 'good reasons' (to me) for maintaining a 10.4 unit

Also have the same issue with this keyboard on a OS X 10.6.8 unit.

I use a different keyboard for OS X 10.10.5.

I verified prior to (re)purchasing this exact model number if it still fully worked on 10.4.11 and got 3 replies (incl. Apple.) saying. Yes

Claim was that this keyboard is supposedly compatible with ALL OS X versions - and always has been previously.

Yes "media keys" are the default (in theory) for the top row. I don't know/care what you call them - its the top row of keys. Not too hard to grasp.

Have tried turn FN preferences on, reboot, turn off, reboot - several times over - nothing changes the top row function.

I do not want Function key functionality - I want the default "media key" functionality.

Every other AEK I've had, the media keys function perfectly - out of the box

This brand new keyboard is the EXACT same model number - and as I said previously, Was told it works on ALL OS X versions

Nov 1, 2015 10:32 AM in response to lonewolfmtn

Seems that the OS X version may not be the issue, but rather the Mac to which you are connecting - What Mac? (you list 2 specifically and 3 'others')

[no need to get snippy with we users - here in ASC are not Apple > "Not too hard to grasp." ]

I would have called them what they are = "sound and display control keys"

Every other AEK I've had, the media keys function perfectly - out of the box

consider this... the AEK is broken - "out of the box" - it happens

Nov 1, 2015 2:15 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

So, apparently you are going to default question the integrity of everything on my desk instead on saying whether there is - or is not a 'special' key-combination or 'secret' preference setting or any other means by which to regain 'default functionality of the top row of keys on the keyboard'. I don't care what name you or anyone else calls the top row of keys by. You obviously know what I am referring to. This is on a Mini (several actually), one runs 10.4, another 10.5 another 10.6 as if that should somehow matter a hoot - they ALL act the same way (non-functionality) with THIS (and only this) keyboard - and have NOT 'acted' this way with all the prior keyboards of this exact model number. The keyboard I just replaced (this exact model) worked fine - but was very grundy after ? 5-6 years of action - so I opted to buy/use a clean/shiny one (oh the horror). Apple now states in their ad for this keyboard -and on Amazon- stating compatible with "10.6.8 and above" - which upon further inquiry is claimed to NOT be true! Or is it? One just cannot believe anything from anyone anymore.

Is there a key-combination, hidden/special set-up check box, secret-handshake, or a Apple prayer that will deactivate the FN -keys and/or activate the default key functionality - OR NOT?

And I'm not "snippy" - I'm frustrated, disappointed (in Apple and this so-called support forum).

That does not make me in ANY way unique.

<Edited By Host>

Nov 1, 2015 11:24 AM in response to lonewolfmtn

Amigo, you have pretty much proved the AEK is defective:

1. previous AEKs worked - New one does not
  2. new AEK performs the same on all Macs tried

I did NOT call into question your Macs now did I? Simplest explanation is likely the right one = Occam's Razor.

There is no magic wand that will make a defective AEK work.

If you insist on getting snippy with me, maybe someone else will help - I'm out

Nov 1, 2015 12:05 PM in response to BDAqua

I spoke with a friendly. helpful person at Apple Support - since I couldn't seem to get an informed response here.

Fact: the current model MB110LL/B is NOT - repeat NOT - the same keyboard as all the previous MB110LL/B's

The (so-called) "media keys" (prior default settings for the top row) DO NOT WORK on OS X below 10.6.8 - PERIOD

IMO, Apple is entirely responsible for the mess because they did not change model designation when they knowing CHANGED to keyboard firmware.

SO all you 'kind' folks challenging my CPU's, OS and claiming a defective keyboard are WRONG

The latest MB110LL/B is IN ACTUALLY (should be considered) MB110l/C - PERIOD

Now you know. You're welcome.

Nov 1, 2015 12:24 PM in response to lonewolfmtn

Last time...

1. I did NOT pick this scrap with you - you began this by saying "Not too hard to grasp." - to which I said "[no need to get snippy with we users - here in ASC are not Apple ] "
  2. I did NOT besmirch your Macs - merely was raising the possibility that the *keyboard* may be incompatible WITH or incapable of connecting TO your perfectly fine Mac(s)
  3. No way for we users (NOT Apple employees and NOT privy to their internal data) to know that Apple basically lied to you (and us all) by not changing the model #

FWIW, I could not agree more with your opinion that Apple had a SNAFU with their #s and claims.

You should have chewed out the AppleRealPerson instead of me, and especially BDAqua! I learned to recognize passive-aggresive 50 years ago.

Nov 21, 2015 12:02 PM in response to lonewolfmtn

well - I've made the not insubstantial effort to track done and purchased several "new" model MB110LL/A (not the /B version, which is effectively a /C model).

Printed on the rear, in 0.1 point type, of each of now 4 different units is "Model : A1243 EMC No.: 2171"

With only one of these four keyboards, will the "Built-in Feature" key functions work - at all.

Functionality exists only on the unit I'm trying to - and finding it impossible - to replace. The top row of keys - what I'm referring to as the "Media Keys" such as brightness, forward and volume - do not work on either a PPC running Tiger or an Intel DC2 running Snow Leopard. I don't know if they work on this Mac Book Pro running Yosemite or not, and frankly I'm rather afraid to try.

No, I do not have "Use as function keys" turned on. All system settings remain the same, same exact everything (port, cable, etc) except for the keyboard.

I unplug the oldest unit (working fine) and then plug in any of now 3 different new ones and the "Built in features" do NOT work - at all.

I want only topically INFORMED solutions for establishing a fully functional default extended keyboard and not drivel (either w/ or w/o criticism)

how does one activate media key functionality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.