Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep being asked to sign in to iTunes Store on new Apple TV

NEw Apple TV seemed to work fine for a day now I keep being asked to sign in to iTunes Store every time I play previously purchased movie or music. Obviously this is a real pain. I restored and the thing that seemed to set it of was enabling restrictions (I thought this was just passcode not password).

I'm restoring again and surprisingly an update is downloading, will test again after that.

any ideas?

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 1:29 PM

Yup, after full restore and update (auto setup from iPhone) I can play movies as expected but as soon as I enable restrictions iTunes store password is requested for every play of movie or music. That means kids can't use it and it's a real pain for me entering passwords all the time. In music (purchased) if you play an album and cancel (menu button) the request for password and cancel for each track you get stuck on the album and need a reset.

Any ideas?

As I can't enable restrictions I can't use the new Apple TV in a kids/family house so it's back to the old Apple TV. This one is beats the store recommendation of South Park alongside kids cartoons I got last week. Common Apple I know you understand kids are using these devices but more work here please.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2015 1:29 PM in response to MacChatterBox

Yup, after full restore and update (auto setup from iPhone) I can play movies as expected but as soon as I enable restrictions iTunes store password is requested for every play of movie or music. That means kids can't use it and it's a real pain for me entering passwords all the time. In music (purchased) if you play an album and cancel (menu button) the request for password and cancel for each track you get stuck on the album and need a reset.

Any ideas?

As I can't enable restrictions I can't use the new Apple TV in a kids/family house so it's back to the old Apple TV. This one is beats the store recommendation of South Park alongside kids cartoons I got last week. Common Apple I know you understand kids are using these devices but more work here please.

Nov 30, 2015 4:56 AM in response to MacChatterBox

I have had the same issue. I found that I could enable most of the restrictions without causing the issue to appear, but as soon as I enabled the restrictions on the age rating for apps, then it would immediately start asking for the iTunes password when I tried to view or listen to purchased content. Only doing a "rest all settings" clears the problem. I have successfully enabled restrictions on explicit music, movie ratings, tv show ratings, purchases and in-app purchases. Until a fix is released, just avoid setting any restriction on opening apps.

Dec 9, 2015 5:30 AM in response to MacChatterBox

This appears to be fixed in yesterday's tvOS 9.1 update. I had one AppleTV on which I had enabled restrictions for app, causing the problem of it asking for my full iTunes password when viewing content. I did not reset all settings to clear the issue. After installing the tvOS 9.1 update, I was able to view content without entering the iTunes password.

Keep being asked to sign in to iTunes Store on new Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.