Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do imessages send as regular text messages? how do i fix it?

why do imessages send as regular text messages/green bubble if i am sending it to another person with a iphone? how do i fix it?

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 11:16 AM

6 replies

Nov 1, 2015 11:05 PM in response to cheer333

cheer333 wrote:

yes..it used to send regular iMessages before but all of a sudden It stopped sending imessahes to a couple of people on my contacts who have iPhones. I've tried resetting it .

If you're able to send iMessages to some people but not others, that would seem to indicate the problem is on the other end. Everyone involved in the messaging must have an active data connection, either Wifi or cellular.

Nov 25, 2015 5:52 AM in response to cheer333

I am having similar problems - when your texts send as the green bubble, does it say 'sent as text message' at the bottom? Because then it means that the other person doesn't have wifi or data connection activated so it had to be sent as a regular text message.

Sometimes, though - with one particular contact - mine doesn't say anything underneath the bubble and it's still green. Can I still assume that the text went through?

There are also times when the receiver will receive my message hours after sending it - the time sent on their phone will also say it is hours later, not the time that I actually sent it.

I've tried resetting everything but nothing has changed, so there always seems to be this miscommunication with this one person - would this mean that the problem is on their end?

Nov 25, 2015 6:27 AM in response to Otomigus

Otomigus wrote:

Sometimes, though - with one particular contact - mine doesn't say anything underneath the bubble and it's still green. Can I still assume that the text went through?

It's going as a standard SMS messages. SMS messages on the iPhone don't give any kind of status messages unless they fail.

I've tried resetting everything but nothing has changed, so there always seems to be this miscommunication with this one person - would this mean that the problem is on their end?

If it's only that person, I'd say that's a pretty good indication the problem is on their end. You can try deleting their contact info and deleting all conversation threads with them and starting over. But, if that fails, it's probably them.

why do imessages send as regular text messages? how do i fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.