Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Befuddled by nonlinear beginning chapter/preface/copywrite/forward

I have bee trying for two days to make sense of the Ibooks Author interface with respect to the icons in the left panel. I have used In Design and I am used to a linear workflow. Such as Title Page/ Preface/ Copywrite/ Dedication/ Forward and then the chapters. However in Ibooks Author after Book Cover/ Intro Media/Table of Contents/ Glossary, nothing makes sense to me. The Chapter 1 icon has a triangle that gives the option of Preface. If I click on the triangle next to Section 1 it gives the option of Of Section/ Copywriter/Dedication and Forward. How do I use this..so that I get a linear result..that is after the Intro Media it goes to the usual Preface/Copywrite/Dedication/ Forward pages ? I have watched almost every video tutorial online and bought and followed Maria Langers book on Ibooks Author... I cannot find anybody else having trouble with the logic of the interface..instead the claims at that it is intuitive. Thanks for any help...

Starboard tack

Also I am not sure if this post is going anywhere as apparently it does nt go automatically to the forum it originated in...fingers crossed.

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 1:40 PM

10 replies

Nov 1, 2015 7:41 PM in response to Starboardtacknow

have no fear, richard the old is here. i've got your back.

i don't know where you originated this nor that what you say is the behavior in this forum as I tend to hang out here almost exclusively so far.

what you say though about this structure and the difficulty in figuring it out I can attest to. I probably spent a similar amount of time as you did trying to figure it out, but that was perhaps nearly maybe 4 years ago circa 2012 i think.

i don't know indesign, am happy enough with iba, but it is on my list to learn. i need to juggle between creating more books or more versions of the same book. at my advance age, i lean towards more books. but i digress and this is not likely what you want to hear. let's get to your issue.

i keep the first 4 pages intact. i have a cover of course, an intro media movie and a structure page for my toc. i don't use the glossary. i don't mingle any other pages in there above the line and am even not certain whether one can. easy enough to test.

i then follow this with a copyright page, followed by the dedication page, followed by a preface page as i would say that this is generally what you see in a book. you can add whatever of these pages you want. they will have the same hierarchy as a chapter page but be given roman numerals. i use the copyright page for the copyright, the dedication page for the dedication, but decided that i liked the structure of forward page better than the preface page, so that is what i use for the preface page. note: it's been awhile since i have done this so some details are a bit hazy. i change when necessary the layout by deleting items like pictures when i don't want them in one of these pages. the type of page if i remember is in a text box near the upper left, or that is where i moved it. i must have renamed the forward text box to say preface.

this will generally be followed by your chapter page, section page and content pages, repeated depending on your content. the chapter pages and section page will define your toc.

at the end i have something i put after the last chapter, section and content. it is one of the types of pages you find in the section category. i happen to use the preface page there. it has a roman numeral. i follow it with blank pages, so the blank pages are indented, which is what i want.

hazy, but it appears that any section page will be at the same hierarchical level as a chapter page or else they are moveable in an indent sort of fashion. i don't quite remember and would have to experiment.

i probably gave you enough info so that you can achieve what you want. if you get stuck, shoot me a specific question on anything that my haziness failed to answer or that you are unable to achieve and i will spend the time actually recreating this and send you step by step instructions. but i suspect you will be ok.

io wish i had your knowledge of indesign. i would like to see if it would allow me to port a book to the dreaded other platforms, dare i say. hope it never comes to that but still wonder if i should use it as a backup to iba on the ibook store.

hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2015 7:57 PM in response to richard the old

RICHARD THE OLD,

Thanks for replying to my post..I am 77 so I do not know who outranks who here. I had a friend who is a Mac whiz come over and see if he could figure out the interface...He left as befuddled as I was. I don't think that there is any doubt that the interface is obtuse and non- intuitive for many people..others apparently have no problem with it. I was surprised that there was not a lot of posts addressing this problem , or any explanation in the book I bought on Ibook Author. I have used computer graphics, video editing and compositing and 3D for years and never come across anything as needlessly confusing as this. I have finally figured it out... but, I still think that part of the interface is badly designed. Not what I would expect from Apple.

I have found the best method for me is too use the Blank template and fill in the chapters and pages from there. (Avoiding the processed templates ) So far so good. Again I want to thank you for spending the time to help me, I do appreciate it.

Starboard tack.

Nov 3, 2015 12:00 AM in response to Starboardtacknow

in my yut, i always found these interfaces intuitive. now, less so. i think part of the problem is that the interfaces are now more complex, perhaps in an effort to add more functionality and flexibility. part of the problem is that the older we get, our sharpness fades. in my case, a good part of the problem for me is that i start using a complex program and do not read the documentation, thinking i'll be able to figure things out myself. i used to actually study the documentation in detail and read books on the software, trying things out. as age advances you realize that the % of time remaining is getting less and less. you have to make choices between developing content or becoming an expert on the tool you use. it is likely a combination of all these things. the real young kids these days go to geometry class and are not even issued a book. everything is done with handouts. you can't learn that way. a contributing issue here as compared to them is that the technology changes rapidly, so the book is nearly out of date by the time it is created. anyone writing a book on an ever changing subject matter finds himself in a sisyphus like situation, so there are less books on the subject as compared to the early days. people find information on the internet for free, a lot of it wrong and or out of date. all of these things are contributing factors. i ramble.

i am a bit disappointed in myself that i couldn't communicate well enough to have you understand, but perhaps it is me who does not. the critical pages in ibooks are the chapter page, the section page and the content pages. each chapter starts with a chapter page. a chapter can have more than one section. consider a section as a logical part of a chapter before you go onto the next logical part. your content is contained in pages, which follow the section page. these three critical pages have a hierarchical structure of indentation. the top page is the chapter page the section pages are indented within a chapter and form the second level of the hierarchy. the content pages are then indented within the section and are all at the same level with each other.. in the front or the back you can have single pages to represent copyright, page, dedication page, etc. they can be made at the same level as the chapter page, which is what i do.

there is flexibility in how you arrange these peripheral pages as to whether they are at the same level as the chapter page or are indented somehow. i think that is what causes confusion but at the same time adds flexibility for another design arrangement..

Nov 3, 2015 6:00 AM in response to richard the old

richard the old,

What you say is true about how many people approach a new program.However, I did do my due diligence..After researching the books available on Ibooks Author I bought what was reputed to be the best one. And I began to work my way through it. I also went online and watched a number of video tutorials on "beginning" Ibooks Author...all to no avail.. Trouble with the interface was not mentioned or discussed anywhere. I was thoroughly stymied. I now have a foggy idea of how it works..which will do for now as I have to get busy with the actual transferring a book to Ibooks. However, this is how I think it should be designed..

First every single book I have ever seen is linear. Preface, table of Contents, Dedication, Forward....then Chapter one, etc. It never varies,....it is linear- period.

Ibooks should be that way also - linear. The Cover they have right, the intro movie they have right....then they start going strange. How it should go, I believe is like this, in a vertical column on the left. Cover/ Intro Movie then a separator line followed by an Icon that flips down to Preface/ Dedication - Copyright / Forward/ Table of Contents. Then there should be a very wide dark line separator. From this point on it is Chapter and pages. I believe in the KISS design moto..Keep It Simple Stupid.

I can't believe that I am the only one using this program that has had this confusion with the interface. If I did not need this program I would have tossed it in the beginning. Which makes you wonder how many people have done just that...given up on it and moved on. I think Apple should revisit the design of IBooks.

Starboard tack

Nov 10, 2015 6:28 PM in response to Starboardtacknow

Dear Sailors et al,

You are not alone in being confused by iBooksAuthor.

I'm really hoping they will release a version 3.0 with a revised user interface. I've learnt many programs and I taught my self a few computer languages, not that I'm fluent in any of them but I have a bit of understanding about what is going on.

What I find confusing is the pages. When you crate a new chapter, sometimes it seems to have a page for writing unlimited amounts of text and sometimes not. I cannot distinguish between a page and a chapter. I chapters come with space for unlimited text, why do you need to add a page?

With regard to your question about Forwards etc.

The answer is that you have to understand about "Layouts" and creating layouts first.

If you go to "View" button on the top bar and then from that dropdown menu select " Show Layouts".

Now you will see the various layouts you currently have available for Chapter, Sections and Pages.

You can duplicate a layout and play around with it or create a new one. Choose "Insert" from the top menu and choose chapter.

Now back to the little triangle you mentioned. That allows you to do something with that particular layouts.

Delete in rename it or if you have created a number different section layouts by duplicating an existing one and then it will show up in your list via the triange.

Nov 10, 2015 8:25 PM in response to Plumbobwe

I think I have the answer to the page at the beginning of the chapter. I have learned that iBook Author wants the first, left hand page with the chapter title to stand alone and it is not linked to the following pages. It wants an image in the facing right hand page. At least this is in my layout (the basic one with the seed head photo). What I have done as a work around is to either do as it wants, or pretend that it is flowing onto the added page three by continuing to write as though it is flowing. For all the added pages, the text does flow. I have definitely learned to try to work with it, rather than against it. It is still a very basic program.

Nov 10, 2015 9:11 PM in response to Starboardtacknow

sorry that i didn't see your post earlier.

as i said earlier, i spent much time figuring this out by trial and error where i should have been more methodical and read whatever was available. i have followed the KISS principle. but as i read your post and the ones that follow, it is more apparent to me now that perhaps it makes more sense to me than you because my books have a very unconventional format which avoids many of the issues that you discuss.

i wrote a traditional hardcopy book around 2008 before the advent of the iPod and iba. i have it on my to do list to make it an ebook someday perhaps and will need to face the issue of using a traditional format or keep the one i use. if i go more traditional, perhaps the issues you mention will become more apparent to me.

good luck to you and i hope your book is a success.

Nov 11, 2015 6:33 AM in response to richard the old

Thanks for the response, Plumebobwe, Kira Gale and Richard the Old,

I am relieved to see that others have problems with the interface..It is odd that in the book I bought on leaning Ibooks Author,( Marie Langer's "Ibooks Author: Publishing your First Ebook") and every online video tutorial I have seen does not even mention this initial stumbling bloc. Yet it is in my opinion a huge problem for beginners. Actually it is a chasm..once you fall into it, it is extremely difficult to get out. Almost everything else that I have come across since is either intuitive or easily solved - at least so far.

As I mentioned in one my earlier posts a traditional book is a linear item - preface, title page, table of contents, dedication, etc. you turn the pages over in a linear manner...that is why pages are numbered. Since an Ibook can only be seen in a linear manner, it makes no sense to me that an Ibook should not be designed in a linear manner also. Why make it needlessly complex and arcane.

Outside of this initial problem, I think Ibooks Author is a marvelous program,, and it is for free. Since the initial post, I have loaded pages, movies, images and used the widgets... One problem I have come across..is that when you load movies and go to the inspector. you are given an option of not having them play full screen ( in my case the original video was in mini DV and is blurry in full screen)....From what I have learned this check box does nothing,,,,no matter what they can still be played full screen. I am having to redo a lot of my video to 1024x 768..quite a task. Another problem is footnotes, however Apple has provided a workaround. Actually I believe that problem is really the mindset of the author. Just transposing a book is not going to work so well, we have to start thinking in e-book terms. For an example, the footnotes, you can use the Pop Over Widget.. More work for the author, less work for the reader. I have yet to try one as I am too busy with other things..but it looks do-able. I can see that Ibooks Author is going to be a valuable tool.

I agree with Kira Gale..."Work with it - rather than against it" This may involve learning new ways of assembling a book..an E-way. Plumbable.. I will give the Layout view another try. Richard..not so old...thanks for the input.

Starboard tack

Nov 11, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Starboardtacknow

Part of the problem is a kind of blind spot on the part of the people who write the manuals..

Here is an idea for you. Layout, (view layouts) are objects with various properties. Like a tea cut. It might be green or red and tea or coffee in it or just plain water. May be green water.

So layouts have things. You might put a page in a layout or give it a name. And there are different types of layouts.

Chapter Layout

Section Layout

Section Layout named Forward

Section Layout named Introduction, with green background.

When you click of the little triangle you can change the existing chapter layout from one type to another type.

If you don't have a layout that you like, go to view Layouts and duplicate one of the existing layouts, rename it add colours etc and then when you go back to the little triangle you will see it in the list of available choices for changes the layout type.

Hope this helps.

Befuddled by nonlinear beginning chapter/preface/copywrite/forward

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.