Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1x8Gb Macbook Pro mid 2010 possible?

Hi all,

I have a macbook pro mid 2010, 2.77Ghz i7. My macbook had an issue and now only one module of RAM work.

Does anyone knows if 1 module of 8Gb work in this model?

I know the maximum ram is 8Gb (2x4Gb) but unaware if 1x8Gb also works.

thank you for any responses to my doubt.

Regards

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 2:06 PM

18 replies

Nov 1, 2015 3:25 PM in response to ph4n0tma5ter

Does it work with one bank of 4GB and the other empty?? This seems to be proof of concept. But why would you do that???

There is a slight performance hit. Always better with matched RAM. Why buy and 8GB when you can buy a 4GB?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade

Bad RAM is different then a bad bank

Nov 1, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Duane

ever more complex. ¿did you update the firmware?

NOTE: The 2010 MacBook is built with a polycarbonate "glossy white unibody" and uses an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. It has two memory sockets which can be upgraded to 16GBs maximum memory with MacOS X 10.7.5 and the latest EFI Firmware update. Otherwise max memory will be 8GB. Apple originally stated 4GB was the max but we have since tested and approved 16GBs. Memory can be installed one-at-a-time. Apple recommends two modules of the same size be installed for maximum performance.

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-macbook-intel-core-2-duo-2-4ghz-13-white- unibody-mc516ll/a-mid-2010-memory-upgrad…

Nov 1, 2015 3:37 PM in response to leroydouglas

so sorry. Then this is your correct advice:

NOTE: The Mid 2009 17" MacBook Pro is built with the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and has an Express Card Socket. It has two memory sockets which can be upgraded to 8GBs maximum memory. Memory can be installed one-at-a-time. Apple recommends two modules of the same size be installed for maximum performance.

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-macbook-pro-intel-core-2-duo-3-06ghz-17-m c226ll/a-cto-mid-2009-memory-upgrades/

it is not clear from this and macsales.com whether 1 @ 8GB will work.

Nov 1, 2015 4:02 PM in response to ph4n0tma5ter

I was surprised by the replies already, thank everyone.

Anything related to a Core 2 duo is not related because the chip/motherboard have a different architecture. Core 2 duo have a maximum of 16Gb and obviously 8gb of would work due to the allocation to a given memory.

This version of i7 states maximum of 8Gb, unfortunately. How I'm know that part ? see: http://ark.intel.com/products/43560/Intel-Core-i7-620M-Processor-4M-Cache-2_66-G Hz

I can't run away from a bad buy really 😟 and hardware limitation.

In the end I still don't know if 1x8gb can be used.... it's unlikely but I have still a tiny hope.

Nov 25, 2015 9:53 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi leroydouglas,

So I got the 8Gb module, finally. I installed it (taking the other out). So, the system breaks every time it boots and every time differently. I didn't managed to be able to work on it, the most advanced state that I manage to see was it MacOSX it freezes booting an app but still while starting up. Normally it throws kernel errors.

If I put back the 4Gb module everything goes slow but smoothly.

If I put the two modules of 4Gb: sooner or later 3 beeps happen and I have to take the memory out so I can turn the computer on.

Any last resort thoughts?

Nov 25, 2015 10:11 AM in response to ph4n0tma5ter

So, the system breaks every time it boots and every time differently.

It does not sound like you have the appropriate modules, working correctly, in your MacBook. kernel panics with a non-Trend correlate strongly with memory errors.

sooner or later 3 beeps happen and I have to take the memory out

that also indicates not the appropriate modules or not working properly.

1x8Gb Macbook Pro mid 2010 possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.