Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Siri Remote DOA?

So just got a new Apple TV and booted it up, comes up with a setup screen saying "Select Your Country or Region"?" and asks me to swipe down on the remote.

Unfortuantely does nothing...

I have tried charging the remote for about 30 mins in case it was flat, also tried re-pairing the remote by holding "Home and Volume Up" for 5 seconds, but no love.

Anyone got any suggestions? Or steps to help diagnose?

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Nov 1, 2015 7:55 PM

15 replies

Nov 2, 2015 7:14 PM in response to Masteryoda27

Not that I saw unfortunately.

It's very un-apple to have an issue like this... but there you go. What I did notice after the reset was it went to a first page where it asked to synch the remote... so I guess somewhere things got screwwy with the pairing and because of the minimalist design there is no way to reset other than an attached computer 😟

Nov 2, 2015 9:56 PM in response to kphillpotts

kphillpotts wrote:

Not that I saw unfortunately.

It's very un-apple to have an issue like this... but there you go. What I did notice after the reset was it went to a first page where it asked to synch the remote... so I guess somewhere things got screwwy with the pairing and because of the minimalist design there is no way to reset other than an attached computer 😟

That is absolutely right. I bought a second AppleTV (32GB this time) for my second tv and I did not have any setup issues. I did not want to go out and buy additional items either, but I was just happy that I could fix the AppleTV without returning it.

Nov 3, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Briansyddall

Thanks, but the first thing I did was to plug the remote in. Then I charged it overnight because it still didn't work after an hour. It is a software issue because everything works after restoring it. Furthermore, my second AppleTV Siri remote worked right out of the box. The USB-C cable and an iTunes restore and update is the only way I know to fix this issue.

Nov 3, 2015 5:12 PM in response to kphillpotts

I had some trouble locating a USB-A to USB-C (Best Buy guy looked at me like I was crazy), so I ended up just purchasing an Apple Tv Remote from a prior generation and used it for set up. Worked right out of the box. I then paired my Siri Remote with the new Apple TV and returned the other remote after I got everything set up. Quite the work-around, but my Apple TV now works!

Nov 3, 2015 6:06 PM in response to kphillpotts

I had the issue with the Siri Remote not working out of the box as well. It looks like the initial screen on startup SHOULD be "Pair Your Remote", and mine went right to "Select your country". So I happened to have the previous gen (Gen 3) Apple Remote...and I used that to get to the Settings Menu and Restore the AppleTV. This resolved my issue!

Which is great because I didnt want to go back to the Apple Store or buy a USB-C cord to factory reset.

Hope this helps!

Nov 7, 2015 7:24 PM in response to JasonMacFreak

Just to confirm; I used my old Apple TV remote to go to settings and did a "restore", just like JasonMacFreak. The software update section said my software was up to date, but when I did restore, it installed two separate updates. It feels like Apple might have rushed this a bit, or isn't doing as good a job of user testing before release. Once you get the device updated, it asks to pair the new remote and then you have to go through set-up again, but you can do it with the Siri Remote.

Apple TV Siri Remote DOA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.