Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerBook G4 2005 won't boot past a blue screen.

A couple years ago i brought a PowerBook G4 second hand for £20. The seller did not give any install disks. It was working fine until I started to install some pretty cool software that I found. Then after I finished with it I shut the lid to put it into sleep mode. I didn't use it until a couple days afterwards. It was then I noticed it wouldn't boot past this blue screen. It was strange because the mouse pointer was there and it worked, and when I left it went into sleep mode like normal. I booted it into shell mode and deleted .AppleSetupDone. The problem persisted but this time the screen went gray. I tried booting into safe mode, resetting the PRAM and all that other stuff but the problem persisted. So now I am stuck with a broken PowerBook g4 that won't work with no install disks. The question is where can I get a install disk for mac os 0.10.5 apart from the pirate bay? BTW 99.9% of the pirating websites are blocked in the UK so where can I get a disk image/install disk?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 8:00 AM

Apple have released no legitimate OS 10.5 disk images for download. Anything offered as a download is pirated. Your only option is a disk and, as I see, you are aware of the issues with finding a legitimate one on the open market.

Given your concerns, I feel your best option is to work through a Mac Users Group (MUG) in hopes someone has a proper 10.5 retail install disk for sale. You can use this link to search for MUGs in your area:

http://appleusergroupresources.com/find-a-group/

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Powerbookg4dude

Apple have released no legitimate OS 10.5 disk images for download. Anything offered as a download is pirated. Your only option is a disk and, as I see, you are aware of the issues with finding a legitimate one on the open market.

Given your concerns, I feel your best option is to work through a Mac Users Group (MUG) in hopes someone has a proper 10.5 retail install disk for sale. You can use this link to search for MUGs in your area:

http://appleusergroupresources.com/find-a-group/

Nov 2, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Powerbookg4dude

I've looked at alleged "full retail install" Mac OSX disks on eBay for years and do not have a lot of confidence in your finding a real disk there. Their are too many that are the gray disks that are quite hard to match to your computer sub-model or, on further reading, one finds the advert is for a downloaded version--the automatic red pirate flag goes up.

As CCC suggests, you can e-mail several MUGs with a subject title such as "Looking for.." and see if they respond.

The gray disk issue is big. Apple changed disks within models, such as between a Rev A and Rev B. There is no easy chart to look up the proper Apple part number for the gray disk that is compatible with your computer. They are specific to the hardware profile of the computer with which they shipped, so likely won't work on a slightly different PowerBook. They should be avoided unless you plan to buy a couple of dozen, hoping you find one that works.

PowerBook G4 2005 won't boot past a blue screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.