Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I export Widescreen images in the new Keynote (without the top and bottom white bars)?

Hi,

I am using Keynote every hour of every day and I love it!

BUT, since the latest update to version 6.6, I cannot export images in an actual widescreen format - 16:9 - and therefore not as high resolution as I want (1920 x 1080).

Every slide I export as an image end up in a 4:3 ratio with white bars at the top and at the bottom of the visual content.

ALSO, any hidden slide will take over the Image Export settings: whatever the number of slides to export, Keynote will select the first hidden slide and duplicate it in the same amount of wanted pages...

Please help!

Clement

Here are details about my Mac:

User uploaded file

and details about my Keynote:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 7:01 AM

9 replies

Nov 9, 2015 9:32 AM in response to markwisenc

The latest version of Keynote version 6.6, has many faults.

If you have a backup of the previous versions, 5.3 or 6.5.3 re-instate it using your backup or TimeMachine.

If you have files that can't be opened in 6.5.3, open these files in 6.6 then export to iWork 09 filetype then open and edit in 6.5.3

Wait until you are sure Apple has fixed these issues before updating again.

Nov 9, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Clement Lelong

I have experienced the same problem. I even tried installing OS X El Capitan to see if it was just a compatibility issue. No dice. Still get the white space above and below the image. The only work around I've found is to export to .pdf, then export the .pdf to a .jpeg... Several extra steps, but it gets rid of the white and it's easier than cropping until apple fixes the bug.

Nov 10, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Clement Lelong

I haven't gotten export to work, BUT I figured this workaround out. I think it may have to do with Keynote using printer settings for how it outputs, so I created a new print size in the print dialog (4.5 inches by 8 inches) then, instead of exporting, I click the PDF button and view in Preview. Saving THAT off gets you the image with no bars. (This is essentially the same as jsc06a's solution, but using the Print dialog instead of Export).

Here are the basic steps (don't have screenshots, so if you have any problems with the steps post back)

1. File -> Print...

2. Click where it says "Keynote" and change that to "Page Attributes"

3. Click where it says "US Letter" and change that to "Manage Custom Sizes"

4. Click the "+" sign, click "Untitled" to name it something memorable (16:9 or Keynote Wide) then change the paper size to 4.5 width and 8 height.

5. Also, change the Non-Printable area to 0 all around. Click OK

You should see the preview image now show without the white area

6. Click PDF and "Open PDF in Preview"

I haven't figured out how to have Preview then export multiple pages as numbered image files, so you'd have to do one slide at a time for now.

Additionally, if you save your own preset (In the print dialog, make the changes listed above, click the dropdown to the right of "Presets" do "Save Current Settings as Preset..." then give it a name), everything you "Print" after that uses that preset until you manually change it back to "Default" thus saving you a few clicks.

How can I export Widescreen images in the new Keynote (without the top and bottom white bars)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.