Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV asks for my iTunes password to play purchased movies or music

My 4th generation Apple TV was working fine but started asking for my iTunes password every time I wanted to play a purchased movie or a tune in my music library.

I tried to restore but that failed. I then reset settings, configured from a device and was no longer asked for a password. I then reconfigured everything and suddenly it was asking for my password before every movie or tune would play. If I tried to play an album from my library it asked for the password before every tune. If I tried to cancel it would then ask me for the password for the next tune.

i tried undoing the configurations to see what had caused this, but no change would stop it from asking for my password.

I tried a restore again, which still failed, then reset again and started afresh. No password requests. Good.

As soon as I enabled restrictions it would start asking for he iTunes password again to play anything. If I disabled restrictions it still asked for the password every time I tried to play anything.

I have reset yet again (restore still failed) and now it won't detect my device to configure fm. I've restarted the Apple TV and the devic but they just don't see each other any more.

Has anyone else had this problem with endless requests for passwords? I am probably going to return the Apple TV as I need to set up restrictions to manage what my family can access. It doesn't seem remotely fit for purpose at the moment.

Apple TV, Other OS

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 7:06 AM

29 replies

Nov 7, 2015 2:43 AM in response to rhubub

I took it back to the Apple Store, exchanged it for another Apple TV and it has the same problem:

- If I enable restrictions I have to enter my password before watching every purchased movie or listening to every tune in Apple Music.

- If I disable restrictions the problem doesn't go away.

- Factory restore doesn't work.

If it's happened to me on two different devices, surely this happens for everyone? Or is there another factor here as well as enabling restrictions? Could it be because I have a separate iCloud and iTunes id?

Can any of the people who also have this problem describe their set up?

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2015 3:39 AM in response to rhubub

I'm linked to my iTunes Match via home sharing. After a couple of days after receiving the Apple TV, the password was requested for my Apple ID whenever I played a movie, tv show or music from icloud based account. it did this repeatedly for every tune or movie or TV episode.

LIke yourself the only cure was to do a complete reset of Apple TV.

A couple of more days went by and it started again and it started after I purchased a movie. Put password in which is normal when purchasing. But when I tried my already iTunes match content again it would ask for password all the time.

In my case the password triggers when I purchase.

I bought a movie last week but this time I didn't play it straight away, not until day after and it didn't request my password and ever since then, 'touch wood' 5 days later it's never asked for a password whenever I play a movie, tune or TV episode.

Nov 7, 2015 4:53 PM in response to rhubub

I'm having the same problem.

Seemed to be working fine at first.

I enabled restrictions today with music set to block explicit content.

Later when I tried to play some of my daughters (non explicit) music, it asked for my password.

I though, OK, maybe it needs to update my credentials, but then it started asking before any track.

At one point I hit cancel and the whole thing locked up. The menu and home buttons wouldn't work. I had to unplug the unit to restart it.

I really don't want to re-set the whole unit back to factory and it seems that perhaps even if I do, this problem could return anyway.

I hope Apple is aware of this and planning to fix it in an update soon.

Nov 9, 2015 11:50 AM in response to rhubub

This has been happening with me.

I set up the ATV using the bluetooth "tap your phone to the device" trick, which pre-loaded my iTunes ID. It seemed to work, then I loaded up a few other apps and got them all logged in, then realized that I couldn't play music or watch any pre-purchased TV shows or movies without being asked for my iTunes password over and over.

I tried signing out and back in again, didn't work. Tried wiping the device and starting over (full reset), it worked for a little bit, then stopped again (maybe after a day? maybe less...) I've tried different iTunes accounts (one I use for work and has virtually no devices associated with it) so it's not a "too many devices" thing or account problem.

I also noticed that when I pulled the ethernet cable, it didn't have my WiFi network setup, though I thought that should've been transferred during the initial "tap the phone" setup. (it's possible that since I was using wired ethernet, it didn't bother setting up WiFi).

This is, to say the least, incredibly frustrating, and makes the device pretty much unusable when trying to view any purchased iTunes content.

The minor tvOS update that came out earlier today didn't fix it, either.

I've even tried changing the App Store password settings, such that it never requires a password, or only every 15 minutes, etc., though that should't be applicable to watching pre-purchased content (and wouldn't be viable anyway, because then all apps would be available for purchase all the time). Also, no luck.

[reposted from a similar, but much shorter, thread]

Nov 9, 2015 1:00 PM in response to rhubub

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one!

I realise that the problem I was having with the factory restore not working was a red herring. I have BT's parental controls enabled and (irritatingly) this blocks all iOS updates. Stupidly it didn't occur to me that this would be stopping tvOS from updating too but it probably is.

Having not enabled restrictions, the password problem hasn't returned. But I really need to enable restrictions.

Has anyone encountered this problem without enabling restrictions?

Thanks.

Apple TV asks for my iTunes password to play purchased movies or music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.