Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you find a photo file (.jpg) on your hard drive?

I have upgraded to El Captain and all my photos are in iPhoto. I use Lightroom to edit my photos. I was able to use finder to locate the photo (by file name) and import to Lightroom prior to the OS X upgrade. Now when I select a photo in iPhoto and "get info" to see the file name and search in finder, I don't get any results. How do I find my photo file on the hard drive?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 8:13 AM

If the photos are in iPhoto you can use the iPhoto command "File > Reveal in Fnder" to show you the image file.

User uploaded file

That is still working in El Capitan.

But it is not a good idea to pass image files that are inside your iPhoto Library directly to Lightroom. If Lightroom modifies the original image file, iPhoto may no longer be able to open it. Why not use "File > Export" to create a copy for Lightroom to edit?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2015 8:13 AM in response to Micro_Racer

If the photos are in iPhoto you can use the iPhoto command "File > Reveal in Fnder" to show you the image file.

User uploaded file

That is still working in El Capitan.

But it is not a good idea to pass image files that are inside your iPhoto Library directly to Lightroom. If Lightroom modifies the original image file, iPhoto may no longer be able to open it. Why not use "File > Export" to create a copy for Lightroom to edit?

Nov 29, 2015 12:04 PM in response to Henry5

Reveal in Finder doesn't lit in my MacBook

Are you using Photos or iPhoto? In iPhoto "Reveal in Finder" will work, unless the original files cannot be found by iPhoto.

Photos on the other hand, will only reveal referenced files in the Finder, not original files that have been imported into the library and are managed by Photos.

Nov 30, 2015 6:03 AM in response to Henry5

Nothing kidnapped, nothing hidden it's all quite straightforward.

The files are not obvious in the Finder for a couple of reasons:

1. Moving them, renaming them or in any way changing the path to the file will corrupt the Library, and because of the iCloud Photo Library, that in turn could corrupt Libraries in the Cloud and on the devices. So, rather than let inexperienced users do damage, the files are in a package. You can visit with them easily: Right click on the Library in the Finder and then house 'Show Package Contents'

2. There's no need to see the files. The whole point of apps like Photos, iPhoto, Aperture et al, is that they are photo managers. That is they replace the finder for anything to do with your shots. Bit like Contacts for your Addresses - t manages this data and makes it available in every other app in the OS.

Two comments:

1. You can run referenced Library - where you choose where the files are stored. But you cannot use that library with the iCloud Library. It's also more work for exactly no gain.

2. You can easily get your original files or any edited versions from Photos using the File -> export command.

If you don't want a Photo manager, and prefer to manage files, then don't use Photos, it's quite simple.

How do you find a photo file (.jpg) on your hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.