Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4th Gen Home Sharing problem

Just got my 4th Gen Apple TV and excitedly plugged it in where the 3rd Gen used to be. But, having an odd problem with Home Sharing. I have a Mac Mini on my network running as a media server - worked like a dream with the 3rd Gen, but the 4th Gen will see it but give a 'Could not connect to... (make sure iTunes is up to date, blah blah blah)' error whenever I try and access it. The server is running the latest version of iTunes (12.3.1) and Yosemite (10.10.5) OS.

The odd thing is if I fire up iTune on my MacBook Pro, which is running a slightly older version (12.2.2) it sees and connects to that fine.

Anybody else experienced this problem / any ideas?

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 8:02 AM

3 replies

Nov 4, 2015 6:34 PM in response to PeteShaw

So not sure if you've had any success. I had a similar experience tonight when setting up my 4th Gen Apple TV. Same as you I unplugged my 3rd Gen, ran through set-up and all seemed well. It would show me my Homeshare library no problem but when I attempted to play any video content it hung and then threw the error you're describing above.

I made sure I was on the same network in Wifi and then I went to my iMac which is the media server and quit and restarted iTunes. I went back and tried again - boom. Worked just fine.

Not sure this will resolve your issue but may be a step to try.

Apple TV 4th Gen Home Sharing problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.