Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup failing

I Have an iMac 27" currently running Yosemite. I took my Mac into the Apple Store to have the optical drive replaced. While there they ran diagnostics and ran a program to get rid of adware and help speed up the machine. I was encouraged to upgrade to El Capitan. In preparation for that upgrade I am trying to run a manual backup to preserve the deletion of all adware from the system. But my time machine will not work. I have gotten a backup failed message. I reboot the system after unplugging the WD MyCloud from power and from the Mac. I plugged them back into the Mac and am trying to run a manual backup. Now it has been stuck in "preparing backup" mode. Any suggestions??

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 10:11 AM

1 reply

Nov 2, 2015 10:20 AM in response to bigredneedle26

Have you ever used this external drive to back up with Time Machine before? May need to format the external drive to work with Time Machine. Also you may need to verify/repair the external and your internal drive to make sure there are no hard drive issues. (I wouldn't expect any issues since you were just at an Apple Store but you never know)

Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support

Time Machine backup failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.