Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (4th Gen) to Multiple Airplay Speakers?

Is the Apple TV (4th Gen) able to push Apple Music audio to multiple Airplay speakers? ie. Same functionality as iTunes on Mac or PC?

Apple TV 4-OTHER, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 3:33 PM

13 replies

Dec 3, 2015 9:35 AM in response to pearceshaun

I Have an airport express as an AirPlay speaker and have multiple speakers connected to it...

Wi-Fi base stations: How to set up and configure AirPort Express for AirPlay and iTunes - Apple Support

but this article may be beneficial to you... http://www.macworld.com/article/2099925/how-to-stream-ios-audio-to-multiple-airp lay-destinations.html

and you can also send feedback to Apple for future enhancements http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Oct 17, 2016 5:49 AM in response to Protodd

The OP isn't asking for multiple speakers connected to a single AppleTV. I think you're not aware of the Airplay capabilities of the AppleTV – it can stream over wifi to an Airport Express with speakers connected to its audio jack. When streaming from a Mac or iOS device, you can stream to multiple Airplay devices at once. With AppleTV, you cannot. Why? Who knows except that Apple refuses to use AppleTV to its fullest potential.

Nov 8, 2016 1:29 AM in response to gingamonkey

I too purchased the Apple TV4 with thoughts of using multiple Airplay speakers as surround sound, but Apple crippled that idea. What I do not understand is that the Apple Store now sells a product that can do this straight out of the box, SONOS speakers with another SONOS peripheral are able to do what we all are waiting for Apple to open up Airplay for iOS + ATV4 to multiple Airplay speakers, simultaneously in sync.

There are third party alternatives but they are not as seamless as it is to send audio from computer or mobile to a single Airplay speaker.

My only thoughts why they do not allow this is, 1. DRM thinking large scale use of this feature for profit, 2. iOS battery drain as it does consume a little more battery life. I thought of resolutions for both of these in one single step, if Apple allowed this feature for DRM they could just have a popup show with a check box to say the user agree to only for personal use (cover them) and also on this popup a statement about battery consumption so the fools that don't read an begin complaining, are also covered. Other than these I can only think that they do not care, have not worked on Airplay as much?

Nov 8, 2016 5:46 AM in response to maumentum

I don't think DRM is a factor since the same functionality is available on iOS and MacOS. The only explanations are apathy or saving features for a new device that would be in line to compete with Amazon's Echo. It's money grubbing overlaps like these that keep us from ever seeing the dream of a media hub come to fruition. We should have had a merge of the Airport, AppleTV and an Echo-like device by now. But why sell one device when you can sell three?

Dec 25, 2016 10:20 AM in response to gingamonkey

The only trick I know of is to use Rogue Amoeba Airfoil on the Mac. Then, via iOS device, send to the Mac, which in turn sends out via Airfiol to all the speakers. Well, heck, if we do that, might as well just use the Mac. (Except for convenience of control via a hand held device.) But, I don't want to look at that Mac on weekends and evenings! We need, at least, multiple speaker capability from Apple TV to multiple speakers simultaneously. Apple really is missing a big selling point on this. My guess is it is the music industry lawyers who are the problem. Not the tech. An Apple TV and iOS device is many times more powerful then a 1990s Mac.

I just want to send Pandora or free internet radio (via ATV OR on iOS) from new ATV (on AV speakers) to my old ATV2 hooked up in kitchen to a speaker. Music in LR (ATV HDMI to receiver) and kitchen (via Airplay). This should be doable Apple! It is just one Airplay signal! The second is out on HDMI.

Dec 26, 2016 5:38 AM in response to Ataraxy01

Hi. You can offer your suggestions to Apple here https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html. Currently, Apple TV only supports one AirPlay connection. Either AirPlay from another device to Apple TV, or AirPlay from Apple TV to and audio receiver. It seems like it would be a big step for it to become an AirPlay router, with one input and multiple simultaneous outputs. Especially for a device based on iOS software.

Dec 26, 2016 1:18 PM in response to Diana.McCall

That would only be one output to Wi-Fi and same data (split) to HMDI. Not hard. Not taxing. Totally doable with the ATV OS and tech in new ATV models. Actually, it does it now (see in Settings). But you have to switch from HDMI to an Airplay device or back. A PITA. The idea is to say/set "play on Airplay (it is one signal going out anyway) and keep the signal running to the HDMI" which is going to speaker bar/TV/AV receiver. In all those cases, the DAC chip in those does all the work. ATV is just sending out the PCM data it already has flowing inside it (so to speak).

Also, in a way, if you just think it though, it proves it is doable even if we remove the HDMI option from the equation and say "ATV: please send to these more then one Airplay speakers". Then, all the speakers pick up the same signal (it is one signal!) This is more a software and UX issue.
If it is more then one signal sending out to Airplay, which one can do from iTunes/Air Foil, how does iTunes or Air Foil send out, what is the max number of devices? 30, 40, 100?
No. It is one signal going out. ATV just needs to be told, here are the legit devices. Bring them on to the music coming out. Just as iTunes and Air Foil do now.
BTW: Who are you? Do you work for Apple? It "seems" like you do not and you are just saying something to say something.

Apple TV (4th Gen) to Multiple Airplay Speakers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.