Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse support for iPad pro

Will the iPad Pro have mouse support?

Something I would love to see and heard months back it might support, b

iPad, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 4:42 PM

557 replies

Feb 15, 2017 11:29 AM in response to AaronTheYoung

iPad remote Windows access applications can and do support a mouse. The application need to include a driver for a mouse and you need a wifi mouse.

Read Multiform post. You can use a mouse with remote Windows and vnc desktop apps on the ipad. You need the right app store app.

Read his article here:

It's on page 2 of this discussion about half way down.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7319286?start=24&tstart=0

The citrix mouse.

https://www.citrix.com/products/mouse/overview.html

http://store.citrix.com/store/citrix/en_US/pd/productID.317779200/ThemeID.377130 00

ios app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/citrix-receiver/id363501921?mt=8

Citrix server app:

Demo of Swiftpoint GT travel mouse with Windows remote session. Stop & start to see the details.

https://vimeo.com/113962546

Remote desktop apps supporting Swiftpoint GT mouse:

May 6, 2017 10:37 AM in response to Renedr

For passthru to a pc, you can use a MOUSE with the right app and right mouse!

Read Multiform post. You can use a mouse with remote Windows and vnc desktop apps on the ipad. You need the right app store app.

Read his article here:

It's on page 2 of this discussion about half way down.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7319286?start=24&tstart=0

The Citrix mouse.

https://www.citrix.com/products/mouse/overview.html

http://store.citrix.com/store/citrix/en_US/pd/productID.317779200/ThemeID.377130 00

ios app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/citrix-receiver/id363501921?mt=8

Citrix server app:

Demo of Swiftpoint GT travel mouse with Windows remote session. Stop & start to see the details.

https://vimeo.com/113962546

Remote desktop apps supporting Swiftpoint GT mouse:

Jan 11, 2017 6:48 PM in response to LACAllen

LACAllen wrote:

They don't use that "exact" phrase. Nor do they ever imply mouse support.

User uploaded file

Big difference between hyperbole & marketing lingo and technical specs

Well, I'd agree that it is both super and a computer. But, unlike the poster to whom I responded, I don't equate that to "Super computer". A Cray it ain't.

I wonder if they also expect M&Ms candies to talk? 😉

Apr 30, 2017 5:29 PM in response to iMister

Its good that people are passionate about things, but on the Apple forum it seems that any comment that is negative is quite often met with a response from others that is like there has been a personal attack them.

I believe there is a distinct difference between passionate and futile. It's an attack on the sole purpose of this community to rant and rail against the reality of things. This place is for asking answerable technical questions.

Look around. There are many negative things said here daily. They don't get removed because they fit within the guidelines. Negativity is not what gets removed.

iOS has no mouse support. iPads run iOS. Accept that and move on.

To be clear... Apple will not answer questions here about decisions they have made or may make. To ask is against the TOU. That's what can get your contribution(s) removed. That they are well intentioned means nothing.

So every question or statement, passionate or rant-y, about iOS & mouse support will go unanswered. Unresolved.

The *only* place to offer your perspective that has a chance of being considered is >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 7, 2017 11:40 AM in response to merry3

It's very awkward to reach out and touch the screen when using a keyboard...unnatural even. It disrupts creativity.

This is the the first, and probably last time, anyone has ever said these words in regards to a tablet.

At this time there is no mouse support for iPads and there has never been any mention from Apple regarding this. Any discussion beyond this is just being argumentative.

Please let Apple know using the following iPad feedback link. Feedback - iPad - Apple.

Sep 4, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Qida

Qida wrote:

How do you replicate a pinch to zoom, or a 4 finger swipe, or 2 finger scroll etc... with a mouse?

....Can you do that with a pencil?

Yes. You can make those gestures while still holding a pencil in your hand, and not having to move your hand from a device off to the side of the desk to the screen and then back again.

Anyway (to mimic magic mouse on MacOS), zoom = double tap, scroll = scroll wheel on mouse, 2 finger swipe = switch between desktop/full screen app.

He was asking how to replicate iOS gestures on a mouse. Not replicate a Magic mouse on a MacOS trackpad.

Thou admittedly you could have added abit more info on it.

For example:

iPad (iOS) can have limited mouse support via SwiftPoint GT mouse / Citrix X mouse and when using some remote desktop apps such as jump desktop or splashtop.

So it create awareness of such devices.

iOS or iPad has NO support for ANY mouse. Some third party, remote desktop apps allow that bluetooth connection to pass through their software to the connected computer. That is not iOS support. Please do not give the impression that iOS supports any mouse in it's current state. If you absolutely require a mouse (I have yet to see or hear anyone give any good reason why besides "because I want it") then 1) let apple know at Feedback - iPad - Apple 2) Buy a device that does what you want. If you need to tow a 20' boat, don't by a Prius. As a loyal Apple fan you had to know this was not supported.

The Apple Pencil has very good tracking ability and I use it for editing podcasts and interviews and multi-cam video regularly on the iPad. In some situations I like it better than editing on the MBP.

Sep 4, 2017 9:24 AM in response to puniad

puniad wrote:

I also doubt very much Apple cannot find a way to add pointer capabilities seamlessly without interefering with touch, which seems to be a concern for the naysayers.

This has become exhausting. This quote is like saying I want to get out of my car and manually open my garage in order to avoid the complexity of using the remote. No one seems to care to read anything that anyone else has said, and continually comments that they want to use a mouse too, with no reasoning behind it.

iOS does not support a mouse. PERIOD. If you would like this feature, PLEASE let Apple know at Feedback - iPad - Apple. That is the ONLY way to get your OPINION across to Apple. I am not going to change your minds, and none of you will change mine, so please stop this constant "me too" on a 2 year old thread where everyone has given the same exact answers over and over again. Geesh. Just let Apple know what you want and why.

Sep 4, 2017 10:15 AM in response to €Jeremiah2911€

It's o.k. You broke no rules. I appreciate the apology, and accept it.

You can provide Apple feedback at http://apple.com/feedback

I really suggest you read what we've said, and try to understand why there currently is no mouse. Beyond whether you would like one. Apple has been know to take suggestions into consideration. But the mouse on the iPad has been given and yet Apple has not added support for it yet. I have to think there's a reason for it. If enough people suggest the option Apple may consider it. But the real issue is how many people actually would immediately drop any other tablet they may have and go buy an iPad simply because it had mouse support.

I don't believe there are that many out there that would. If you have an actual statistic, I'm sure Apple would want to see it.

Sep 5, 2017 9:10 AM in response to merry3

This thread was and is not about whether, in some unknown future, iOS may or may not have mouse support.

It is about the fact that iOS does not have mouse support now. It has never had mouse support previously. If you need mouse support now, there is no point in buying an iOS device.

Post feedback to Apple at Product Feedback - Apple if you would like a feature in the future. But posting here asking for, demanding, or complaining about the lack of something that does not exist is fruitless.

Dec 19, 2017 6:15 AM in response to mangorancher

mangorancher wrote:

Now how do I remove my thread as I am done debating my position and tired of being "made wrong" by those who chose to "BE RIGHT".

From the very (and quite short) Terms Of Use you and all of us agreed to when joining these communities (Apple Support Communities Use Agreement):

Item 10. "License to Use Submission. By sending a Submission to the Site you agree to grant Apple a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive worldwide right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to the Submission. If you do not want to grant to Apple the rights set out above, do not send your Submission to the Site."

Anything and everything you post here is immediately no longer "yours". And that pretty much applies to any privately owned and hosted web site you ever post anything to. If you choose to submit content, it becomes the property of the site/domain owner.

Jan 12, 2017 11:25 AM in response to Csound1

Okay. I'll back away from the word guarantee. But, I don't think it's a reach to say:

• that finance people are never going to be doing spreadsheets with their fingers on a touch screen.
  • that people doing word processing are going to do speedy and accurate selecting of text with their finger.

That's just TWO major apps that are hampered by usage on an iPad.

almost any app that involves fine control of object or data selection is slowed down by an iPad.

It is possible that some people can become more facile with a touch screen than a mouse...sure. But, where I work we miss having one and find it a significant missing part of our environment. Do we work without it. Sure.

Doesn't mean we wouldn't use a mouse or track if they were available.

Jan 12, 2017 12:19 PM in response to AaronTheYoung

AaronTheYoung wrote:

Okay. I'll back away from the word guarantee. But, I don't think it's a reach to say:

• that finance people are never going to be doing spreadsheets with their fingers on a touch screen.
  • that people doing word processing are going to do speedy and accurate selecting of text with their finger.

Really? I am a "finance person" and I do most of my spreadsheets with my fingers on an iPad. I find it much friendlier than a mouse. I haven't actually used a mouse for anything in at least 5 years - when not using the iPad I use the touchpad on my Mac. The bg benefit of the touchpad and a touch screen is that I don't have to lift my hands far from the keyboard like you do with a mouse. I've hated using a mouse since they first came out because they require much more hand and arm movement than any other pointing device - even a trackball is better. Indeed, I suspect the fact that repetitive stress injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome have become so common can be directly attributed to the invention of the mouse.

For word processing I much prefer tapping on a word, then dragging the "handles" to select the text around it; again, much less hand movement than a mouse would require, and it requires much less coordination than selecting text with a mouse does.

almost any app that involves fine control of object or data selection is slowed down by an iPad.

The opposite of my experience. Fine control is much easier with a touch screen than it is with a mouse. I "burned my mouse" the first time I used a touchpad, and I find the iPad is even easier to use than a computer with a touchpad.

Jan 12, 2017 12:32 PM in response to Csound1

Why? I've already stated that an iPad was the closest thing we were able to find that fit our needs.

• Light portable device for field work
  • Superior battery life
  • LTE networking
  • Apple pencil for drawing/mark ups in the field.
  • Bluetooth keyboard
  • Has majority of Apple version apps we need/use
  • Able to control a Windows environment when engineers need to use an app only available there.

There is no other product that does all this. It works every where and gives our staff very fluid mobility/business workflow independent of location.

Only thing missing is a track pad/mouse.

Mouse support for iPad pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.