Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are Graphics Tablets a Practical Alternative to the Keyboard?

Hi,

I have coordination problems, so although I can type with one hand, I can't coordinate both hands, and although I can write with pencils if I can rest my hand on the surface, I have trouble with slippery pens, and I can't use touchpads. I also have nasty nerve pain. Using a vertical mouse has made mousing easier, so I am wondering what could make writing easier.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 5:05 PM

3 replies

Nov 5, 2015 7:25 PM in response to Marja E

As of now: No.

Ink does not work.

It's hard to write with the graphics tablet, which will miss some strokes and letters, and hard for Ink to recognize letters and words written with the graphics tablet. I end up with a lot of gibberish. Once or twice I ended up with a word amid the gibberish, but had no way to delete the gibberish and keep the word. Just a clear function which deleted everything.

Nov 6, 2015 11:31 AM in response to Marja E

As of now, the pen, tablet, and Ink sometimes sorta work, although they miss strokes and misread letters - how does G become 2?

sometimes fail, with the pen showing up and moving around the Ink window, but unable to writing anything in the window, and

sometimes fail, without the pen showing up at all.

Any idea what's going on and how to resolve this? I can use the pen in the tablet settings app even when I can't use it in Ink.

Nov 6, 2015 11:57 AM in response to Marja E

I think I've figured out what's going on. Although I've turned off both pen buttons in the tablet settings, they're still interfering in the Ink settings. And any pressure on the buttons keeps the pen from registering. At best this causes gaps in my writing. At worst, this causes completely blank writing.

I can't hold the pen without tucking it under my thumb, and sometimes squeezing that part of the pen.

I think this was another pen-like device built on the assumption that everyone can, should, and would use the dynamic tripod grip. I am unable to use dynamic grips, and rely on lateral grips.

Are Graphics Tablets a Practical Alternative to the Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.