Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My iPhone says: "Online, No Location Available"

I left my phone in the office yesterday, so when I got home I tried to use FMIP to locate it (just to make sure). FMIP initially reported the device offline, but later in the evening I checked again and it said "Online, No Location Available".

I tried calling it from another phone, thinking that maybe it needed to wake up and smell the 3G, but no effect. I hit "lost mode" out of curiosity, to see what would happen. I got an email saying:

Lost Mode enabled on BGP IP10. This device was put into Lost Mode at 4:42 AM on November 2, 2015.

The problem is, I'm in Bangkok at it was 8:42 PM at the time I enabled lost mode. Checking a timezone map, it appears that some piece of the puzzle thinks I'm in Anchorage or Fairbanks, Alaska.

Reading other threads on this "no location available" issue, I see that one of the things that can cause this message is an incorrect setting of time/date. But both the iPhone and iCloud settings have me in the correct location.

When I got to the office this morning at 7:45 AM, there was the phone - still plugged in to the charger. The "Lost Mode" message was displayed on the lock screen. I unlocked it and saw that it was up to date with emails, so it had been connected to the internet all night. I checked to make sure location services was on (although it doesn't need to be on for Lost Mode), and it was. But still no location available.

Finally at 8:00, I got an email:

BGP IP10 was found near [my location] at 4:58 PM.

So they still have my incorrect time zone, 16 hours behind my true time zone. Does anyone have a suggestion about where this incorrect time setting could be hiding?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 5:39 PM

You will need to open your settings, then open general, if you scroll down you will see ddate and time. Select this option and the last option in there is time zone. voilà All you have to do is fine your time zone and select it. after you do this test it and be sure it works. If not go to privacy>location services>Scroll all the way to the bottom and select system services> search through and make sure find my iPhone is on if not turn it on. If it is turn it off, enter your password, and turn it back on. Then test it and make sure it works. Also be sure find my iPhone is on and so are your location services 😊

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2015 5:39 PM in response to augratin

You will need to open your settings, then open general, if you scroll down you will see ddate and time. Select this option and the last option in there is time zone. voilà All you have to do is fine your time zone and select it. after you do this test it and be sure it works. If not go to privacy>location services>Scroll all the way to the bottom and select system services> search through and make sure find my iPhone is on if not turn it on. If it is turn it off, enter your password, and turn it back on. Then test it and make sure it works. Also be sure find my iPhone is on and so are your location services 😊

Nov 22, 2015 3:21 AM in response to Brookem.0104

Sadly this did not help, as all the settings were already correctly set. I was reminded to come back to this post because I misplaced my phone somewhere in the house today, and wanted to make it chime so I could find it. So I opened icloud.com and the service was again reporting online, no location available.

I eventually borrowed somebody else's phone so I could call mine and listen for the ringing. So that's how I found my phone; not with FMIP. I notice that iOS 9.1 is waiting to be installed, so I did that in the hopes that whatever was stuck would get shaken loose. After updating, the phone can now be found on the map, but I doubt that was truly the fix. Will report back if it happens again.

Find My iPhone says: "Online, No Location Available"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.