Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 64GB Turns on Automatically

I keep shutting off my Apple TV but it keeps coming back on. I woke up this morning to find my TV turned on (it automatically turns my TV on when I start Apple TV), but Apple TV was turned off (I presume because it went back into sleep mode after a period of time with no input).

This evening I turned off Apple TV and it has come back on without touching the remote at least 5 times.

Apple TV, tvOS

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 6:33 PM

7 replies

Nov 2, 2015 8:06 PM in response to chris0299

I've been experiencing this problem as well, in my case with a 32 GB 4th generation Apple TV.

This may sound strange, but I think I've isolated the trigger for these random power-ons to the new "Siri Remote." The last two times my Apple TV started up on its own, I noticed a small, greyed out overlay on the upper right corner of my TV's screen indicating that the connection to the remote had been lost (this message disappears after a few seconds, so you may not have noticed it). I should note that on all of these occasions, the Siri Remote has been within a few feet of my Apple TV, so it's not a matter of the Remote being out of Bluetooth range.

Whether this is indeed the cause of my random power-ons or not, the trouble is that I don't think there's much I can do about it outside of waiting for Apple to release a software update. I've got my Remote charging now to see if its battery state has anything to do with this behavior and will report back if it appears to help at all (FWIW, my Apple TV turned on by itself when I plugged my Siri Remote into a live lightening cable), but I'm not holding my breath.

But if anyone else here has any thoughts on how to keep the Apple TV from losing its connection to the Siri Remote, I'd love to hear them!

Nov 3, 2015 9:39 PM in response to edotkim

I Have been having same problem with my 64GB Apple TV, randomly turning on after couple hours. I charged up my remote, in fact left it plugged in on charge all night, and yet in the middle of the night it turned on my TV and receiver to run all night while we sleep. What a waste Of energy and is causing excessive wear on my reciever. What ever the Apple hardware or software problem is.:

APPLE NEEDS TO GET OUT AN IMMEDIATE SOFTWARE FIX ! or RECALL THESE DEFECTIVE DEVICES.!!!!

Nov 4, 2015 2:32 AM in response to chris0299

My Apple tv turns on Automatically when i turn off the tv.I think the tv send the hdmi-cec signal to power off the Apple tv and for any reason tyhe tv turn on the Apple tv when it was power off. Even i turn off the option in Apple tv to control tv and home theater the problem doesn't fix.

I posted this thread few days ago:

"i have a lg led tv, when the apple tv is turned off and the tv turns off then the apple tv turns on. Even with the option control tv and home theather disabled. It is very annoying and a waste of…"

Nov 29, 2015 6:51 AM in response to chris0299

I too experience this problem and also noticed the greyed out rectangle in the upper right hand corner. I too suspect some time type of defect will the remote that should be solved with a software update that Apple needs to come up with immediately. I have had the TV turn on randomly without any intervention from someone in my household probably 1 everyday. (mine is the 32GB system)

Nov 29, 2015 11:16 AM in response to josé luis

I also have an ATV 4.0 64GB attached to an LG LED TV. When I turn off my cable box + TV using the cable box remote, my Apple TV turns on. I have to turn on my TV, change the TV input to my Apple TV (HDMI#2 to HDMI#3) and force the Apple TV to sleep. Both the TV and the Apple TV then properly turn off.

I have not experienced any random turn-ons of my Apple TV.

Apple TV 64GB Turns on Automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.