Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I password protect iCloud drive access on iOS?

I want to use iCloud as file manager for my iOS devices, but need to password protect access to these on my iPad and iPhone.

iPad 2, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 7:09 AM

Hi Koplataroo,

Your Apple ID password is used to protect the data that you store on iCloud Drive. The article below explains how your data is protected and includes some additional security options like Two-Step Verification.

iCloud security and privacy overview
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

Apple takes data security and the privacy of your personal information very seriously. iCloud is built with industry-standard security practices and employs strict policies to protect your data.

This article explains how iCloud keeps your personal information and data secure. In addition to this article, you should also review Apple’s Privacy Policy, which covers iCloud.

Data security

iCloud secures your data by encrypting it when it's sent over the Internet, storing it in an encrypted format when kept on server (review the table below for detail), and using secure tokens for authentication. This means that your data is protected from unauthorized access both while it is being transmitted to your devices and when it is stored in the cloud. iCloud uses a minimum of 128-bit AES encryption—the same level of security employed by major financial institutions—and never provides encryption keys to any third parties.

Use of secure tokens for authentication

When you access iCloud services using Apple’s built-in apps (for example, Mail, Contacts, and Calendar apps on iOS or OS X), authentication is handled using a secure token. Using secure tokens eliminates the need to store your iCloud password on devices and computers. Even if you choose to use a third-party application to access your iCloud data, your username and password are sent over an encrypted SSL connection.

Strong passwords

When creating an Apple ID to use with iCloud, your password must have a minimum of 8 characters, a number, an uppercase letter, and a lowercase letter. Using a strong password is the most important thing you can do to help keep your data secure. Learn more about creating a strong password.

Two-step verification

Apple offers an optional security enhancement for your Apple ID called two-step verification. Two-step verification requires you to verify your identity using one of your devices before you can make changes to your account information at My Apple ID, sign in to iCloud on a new device or at iCloud.com, or make an iTunes, iBooks, or App Store purchase from a new device. Learn more about two-step verification.

Take care,

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Koplataroo

Hi Koplataroo,

Your Apple ID password is used to protect the data that you store on iCloud Drive. The article below explains how your data is protected and includes some additional security options like Two-Step Verification.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

Apple takes data security and the privacy of your personal information very seriously. iCloud is built with industry-standard security practices and employs strict policies to protect your data.

This article explains how iCloud keeps your personal information and data secure. In addition to this article, you should also review Apple’s Privacy Policy, which covers iCloud.

Data security

iCloud secures your data by encrypting it when it's sent over the Internet, storing it in an encrypted format when kept on server (review the table below for detail), and using secure tokens for authentication. This means that your data is protected from unauthorized access both while it is being transmitted to your devices and when it is stored in the cloud. iCloud uses a minimum of 128-bit AES encryption—the same level of security employed by major financial institutions—and never provides encryption keys to any third parties.

Use of secure tokens for authentication

When you access iCloud services using Apple’s built-in apps (for example, Mail, Contacts, and Calendar apps on iOS or OS X), authentication is handled using a secure token. Using secure tokens eliminates the need to store your iCloud password on devices and computers. Even if you choose to use a third-party application to access your iCloud data, your username and password are sent over an encrypted SSL connection.

Strong passwords

When creating an Apple ID to use with iCloud, your password must have a minimum of 8 characters, a number, an uppercase letter, and a lowercase letter. Using a strong password is the most important thing you can do to help keep your data secure. Learn more about creating a strong password.

Two-step verification

Apple offers an optional security enhancement for your Apple ID called two-step verification. Two-step verification requires you to verify your identity using one of your devices before you can make changes to your account information at My Apple ID, sign in to iCloud on a new device or at iCloud.com, or make an iTunes, iBooks, or App Store purchase from a new device. Learn more about two-step verification.

Take care,

Nov 4, 2015 6:49 PM in response to judysings

HI Judy, thanks for helping. I understand the security applied with iCloud Drive ( ie secure socket layer, ecryption and 2 factor authentication) but I was looking for a second layer of device access protection. Current file manager apps do this as iPad, etc. devices are sometimes shared. I find 3rd party file manager iOS apps do not provide the best support when iOS software loads are updated, so I was looking for an Apple solution with similar capabilities.

can I password protect iCloud drive access on iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.