Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

English subtitles on foreign Netflix films

I have the new Gen4 Apple TV and I can't get English subtitles to show on foreign language parts in the Netflix app. I have turned subtitles on via netflix.com and set the subtitle design to the defaults (yellow with a black drop shadow). I have tried all the various subtitle options on the Apple TV (including English SDH) and for the life of me, nothing works. They work flawlessly on my Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, LG TV from 2012... but NOT on my Apple TV. I had problems with them on my last (Gen3) Apple TV too. For a comparitive test, try out the TV Series Narcos with lots of foreign language parts mixed in with English. I would love to know if others are having this same issue, or if it is just me...?

This is a screenshot of Firefox streaming Netflix on my Mac:

User uploaded file

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS, frustrated!

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 7:59 PM

4 replies

Nov 30, 2015 2:50 PM in response to ccfed3

Hi ccfed3

Funny enough, a few days after posting my issue above, suddenly the subtitles started working perfectly. This is the first time that they have ever worked and I have had an AppleTV in my house (one generation or another) for a few years now.

I'm unsure if it was an update or what, but I can confirm I have them working now. I tested with Orange is the new Black as well and they're all there!

English subtitles on foreign Netflix films

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.