Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Coreaudiod prevents iMac from idle sleeping

Hi!

I've had an annoying bug for a while. When I boot my iMac, I always get "pid"s (PreventUserIdleSleep) from "coreaudiod".

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The thing is, nothing is playing. Nothing at all. The coreaudiod messages are there even if I reboot the computer with no apps at all running, and nothing special in this menu:

User uploaded file

I think it might be caused by the USB device I use to plug my turntable in, but even if I reboot the Mac with it unplugged, I'll still get the "pid"s and the computer won't go to idle sleep by itself. The screensaver will pop in, then the display will sleep, but the hard drive won't unless I manually press the power button or click "sleep" in the Apple menu.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The only ways I found to fix the issues is the "sudo killall coreaudiod" terminal command, and to boot up in safe mode. When I do either of these, the sleep behavior goes back to normal, until the next reboot that is.

User uploaded file

Does anyone have any idea of what can cause this, and what can be done to fix it so I don't have to kill the process by hand at every reboot.

I'll give as much information as I can to help you guys help me, if you think you know what might be up. I'm currently on a 27 inches 2013 iMac, running El Capitan, and this issue has persisted through Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite before that. This is my first time submitting something to this forum, so sorry if I did something wrong.

Thank you very much in advance!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 2, 2015 10:06 PM

14 replies

Nov 3, 2015 9:28 AM in response to Crash Dummie

I think it might be caused by the USB device I use to plug my turntable in

If you installed any software to use that device, uninstall it and see whether there's a change.

Any third-party software that doesn't install from the App Store or by drag-and-drop into the Applications folder, and uninstall by drag-and-drop to the Trash, is a system modification.

Whenever you remove system modifications, they must be removed completely, and the only way to do that is to use the uninstallation tool, if any, provided by the developers, or to follow their instructions. If the software has been incompletely removed, you may have to re-download or even reinstall it in order to finish the job.

I never install system modifications myself, and except as stated in this comment, I don't know how to uninstall them. You'll have to do your own research to find that information.

Here are some general guidelines to get you started. Suppose you want to remove something called “BrickMyMac” (a hypothetical example.) First, consult the product's Help menu, if there is one, for instructions. Finding none there, look on the developer's website, say www.brickmymac.com. (That may not be the actual name of the site; if necessary, search the Web for the product name.) If you don’t find anything on the website or in your search, contact the developer. While you're waiting for a response, download BrickMyMac.dmg and open it. There may be an application in there such as “Uninstall BrickMyMac.” If not, open “BrickMyMac.pkg” and look for an Uninstall button. The uninstaller might also be accessed by clicking the Customize button, if there is one.

Back up all data before making any changes.

You will generally have to restart the computer in order to complete an uninstallation. Until you do that, there may be no effect, or unpredictable effects.

If you can’t remove software in any other way, you’ll have to erase and install OS X. Never install any third-party software unless you're sure you know how to uninstall it; otherwise you may create problems that are very hard to solve.

Trying to remove complex system modifications by hunting for files by name often will not work and may make the problem worse. The same goes for "utilities" such as "AppCleaner" and the like that purport to remove software.

Nov 3, 2015 11:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't install any software for this device. Basically, it's a hub with female RCA plugs that goes in one of the USB port. My turntable is plugged in the RCA ports, and when I want to listen to it, I just set the hub as the sound input.

The device shows up as USB Audio CODEC in my sound prefrences, as you can see in my pictures.

I'm gonna look around for files to delete, but as far as this device go, I didn't install anything. This is the amazon page for it: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000KW2YEI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detai lpage_o09_s00

Nov 3, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Crash Dummie

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/Audio

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Nov 3, 2015 4:19 PM in response to Linc Davis

Dang. Tried that already and it didn't work. I'm gonna try again later on, but for now, I've found a "fix", and I use that term loosely.

I created an Applescript app that kills coreaudiod (and then restart itunes because "killall coreaudiod" messes with it) and I set it so that it does its think every time I boot up the computer.

I'd still really like to eventually find the source of the problem though. Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me.

Nov 3, 2015 6:18 PM in response to Crash Dummie

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Mar 16, 2016 10:03 AM in response to Crash Dummie

I think it should be noted that Crash Dummie's screen grab of his Login Items list includes Caffeine, which is a utility specifically designed to prevent a Mac from sleeping. I don't know if this was contributing to the problem, in addition to Tastiera, but it seems relevant given that he reported that his Mac wouldn't go to sleep. Maybe it works by making coreaudiod run some process that keeps the Mac thinking that the user is playing some audio, which is a condition that prevents sleep.

Mar 16, 2016 4:13 PM in response to John Sawyer1

Thanks for the reply! I don't think Caffeine was the issue though, since it's off by default, and I seem to remember the problem happening before I installed it.

Besides, the sleep problem is the least of my issues right now (I fixed it too). El Capitan has been giving me a couple of headaches with the Finder and the power button's behavior and none of the updates have fixed anything.

I might end up having to clean install OSX, even though I really, REALLY don't feel like doing it.

Coreaudiod prevents iMac from idle sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.