Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homesharing between work and home

Hi there!

I'd be very grateful if anyone can assist with my query.

I would like to homeshare between my itunes which is at my office and my apple TV (4th gen) which is at home. I understand that they need to be on the same wifi network in order for it to work but is there any 3rd party software or solutions that I could use to enable homesharing from different networks?

Or any other ideas?

Many thanks

Mark

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 2:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 3:59 AM

I'm not entirely sure about the Apply TV video streaming part....but I use a free VPN service called Hamachi to use HomeSharing with my iTunes music library. It used to work fine, until Yosemite and now the latest version of iTunes has a ton of bugs that is killing it for me... But from a Mountain Lion computer (about to dump Yosemite...and I won't touch El Cap with a 10 foot pole) everything works as it should. Hope Apple gets it together and restores basic functionality to these newer OSes. I really like Yosemite over all, but reliability is awful.

It still works, mind you...so definitely give it a try to see how Apple TV works. Or, if you're savvy with routers, and have one that's compatible with VPN Passthrough (or flashed with DD-WRT), you can buy Apple Server for like $20, and host your own VPN. I prefer Hamachi because it uses a relay server that gets around annoying office firewalls.

By the way, LogMeIn bought Hamachi "recently", but it's still free for up to five computers...I highly recommend giving it a try.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2015 3:59 AM in response to mcalvert11

I'm not entirely sure about the Apply TV video streaming part....but I use a free VPN service called Hamachi to use HomeSharing with my iTunes music library. It used to work fine, until Yosemite and now the latest version of iTunes has a ton of bugs that is killing it for me... But from a Mountain Lion computer (about to dump Yosemite...and I won't touch El Cap with a 10 foot pole) everything works as it should. Hope Apple gets it together and restores basic functionality to these newer OSes. I really like Yosemite over all, but reliability is awful.

It still works, mind you...so definitely give it a try to see how Apple TV works. Or, if you're savvy with routers, and have one that's compatible with VPN Passthrough (or flashed with DD-WRT), you can buy Apple Server for like $20, and host your own VPN. I prefer Hamachi because it uses a relay server that gets around annoying office firewalls.

By the way, LogMeIn bought Hamachi "recently", but it's still free for up to five computers...I highly recommend giving it a try.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

Dec 5, 2015 2:07 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Allow me to appease your skepticism, Mr. Churchil. 😉

Before I show you, know that no hardware has changed in my setup other than I bought a Mac Mini with Yosemite on it. Also, I have bought a grand total of ZERO iTunes Store-based music. I have been collecting music for 20 years, and I rip everything myself and maintain a rather OCD library. So, this isn't a DRM/License issue.

Before, when it was Mountain Lion to Mountain Lion on iTunes 11 over VPN, it worked perfectly. I'd come to work, turn on my system, start up iTunes, load my "home" library, and it would play without a hitch.

User uploaded file

Then I got the Mac Mini with Yosemite... Now when I start up, iTunes doesn't see the Home Share on the work Mountain Lion computer. ...but when I remote into my Mac Mini, that iTunes can see the work Mac on HomeShare!!! ...???!!!???... To fix, I have to close down the remote iTunes app (on the Mac Mini at home), and turn it back on. Then magically, my work computer's iTunes suddenly sees it, and I can play music... for a while...

[UPDATE: They might have fixed this next issue...it hasn't happened this week yet... Before it was happening a couple times per day.]

I'd finally be listening to music and working the day away... Then all of a sudden, my music would stop. Thinking it was a connection issue, I go to iTunes to reconnect, but I see I'm still connected! ....but my "Music" library has disappeared! But my Smart Playlist is there... I start using that.... then THAT disappears too! I have to restart both iTunes apps to get the functionality back. ...

User uploaded file

<Edited by Host>

-=R=-

Dec 7, 2015 4:15 PM in response to Winston Churchill

"Doesn't support" and "doesn't work" are two totally different things. Apple doesn't "support" a lot of things because they want you to pay an Apple tax for overkill. Those of us who know better make it work. As for the Apple TV itself, I really don't know if it's possible whether they support it or not...for example, if I hardware VPN ALL of my traffic, there's no way they could do anything about it. Sure, there might not be an option in the device's extremely limited GUI...but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

So, telling a user you "can't do something" when you've never attempted it yourself is pretty weak. Give them some options to try, and if they are up to the technical task, maybe they'll come back successful and have a little nugget of goodness to share with the rest of us.

Dec 7, 2015 4:39 PM in response to SquireCast

They state quite clearly in the ToU for iTunes that they may take steps to block or disrupt certain activities (many of which VPN can be used to try to workaround), all I'm saying if it don't work, don't assume it don't work because of a bug. Please don't assume you know what I have or can do, also I haven't at any stage said it can't be done.

Dec 7, 2015 5:45 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Well, first of all, I'm just having a bit of fun. You don't have to take it so personally...it's forum, not a job. It's all good.

Lastly, you're right I don't know what you know/do/have done or not, but if you have you should offer up your exact experience so folks who are tinkering can learn from your experience instead of just saying, "well, it's not supported." It's good to say that it's not supported, and being all smug when I clearly show you a bug is just lame too. So, whatever, man. If you're not down to play, all good. Catch ya later.

Homesharing between work and home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.