Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Embedded subtitles (subler) not appearing anymore

I've used Subler to embed subtitles into some of my movie files.

I successfully burned some of these movies to dvd using iDVD and the subtitles were burned with them automatically.

However now, when I load up a movie file into iDVD, the subtitles do not display and when I play the mkv file, VLC does not automatically show the subtitles either; I have to select them manually.

PLEASE SOMEONE DIAGNOSE THIS PROBLEM! I have no clue why one night the burned projects worked and today they do not.

I've re-optimized the files in Subler with different details and options selected, changed settings in VLC, looked and not found any settings in iDVD....

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 9:04 AM

6 replies

Nov 3, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Old Toad

Ha we've all been there.

No they are not showing up on Quicktime either.

So strange because I embedded two films with greek subtitles on and they would play automatically and showed up on the iDVD preview and subsequent burned dvd.

Now I'm trying to burn other films with greek and english subtitles and...NADA. There must be a setting somewhere for programs to read the subtitle file/codec and utilise them automatically surely...

Nov 3, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Old Toad

Okay, .mkv files play the subtitles automatically in Quicktime and VLC, however .mp4 files do not.

Unfortunately, when I now use Subler, it only lets me save files as .mp4 and .m4v.

.m4v files do not load up in iDVD and even the .mkv files are having trouble opening in iDVD.

The .m4v file won't even play in Quicktime or work with the video converters I've used either....

Any ideas?

Embedded subtitles (subler) not appearing anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.