Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages does not allow screen share on El Capitan OS?

The screenshare option is greyed out. Is there any fix for this ? I am not able to share my screen or ask my buddies to share their screen.

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 12:53 PM

Hi,

It seems not.

There is also an issue with Video chat and Audio Chat through the SNATMAP server (AIM and Jabber connections like they were in iChat).

The Screen Sharing used to be connected using this server as well with an Audio chat alongside.

Since Yosemite the iMessages account can "Screen Share".

It does it like it does Video and Audio Chats (which Invoke FaceTime)

This invokes the Screen Sharing App.

To make it work you have to go to System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing and enable it for All users.

This then uses the Details option top right of any Chat.

If you then use it in a AIM chat or an Jabber one it will try to call the person in the Screen Sharing app using your Apple ID.

As your Apple ID can be used as an AIM Screen Name in some cases where the Contact/Buddy is doing the same thing it may work.

To iChat versions that only use AIM (or Jabber ) it will not.

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Thursday; November 5, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2015 12:53 PM in response to vivekkv

Hi,

It seems not.

There is also an issue with Video chat and Audio Chat through the SNATMAP server (AIM and Jabber connections like they were in iChat).

The Screen Sharing used to be connected using this server as well with an Audio chat alongside.

Since Yosemite the iMessages account can "Screen Share".

It does it like it does Video and Audio Chats (which Invoke FaceTime)

This invokes the Screen Sharing App.

To make it work you have to go to System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing and enable it for All users.

This then uses the Details option top right of any Chat.

If you then use it in a AIM chat or an Jabber one it will try to call the person in the Screen Sharing app using your Apple ID.

As your Apple ID can be used as an AIM Screen Name in some cases where the Contact/Buddy is doing the same thing it may work.

To iChat versions that only use AIM (or Jabber ) it will not.

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Thursday; November 5, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 2, 2015 1:15 PM in response to D Anderson

Hi,

It has been a while but I was updated to El Capitan before one of my AIM Buddies and he wanted to try out "the iMessages way" in Yosemite.

He use iMessages in Yosemite and I used it in EL Capitan and we could Screen Share invoking the Screen Sharing App.

In Yosemite you needed to Enable the System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing option and Allow Anyone in the settings.

Adding a Name here is listing a Mac User Account on that computer a bit like calling Home and sharing your computer yourself (although accepting the request is a bit difficult).

User uploaded file

9:15 pm Wednesday; December 2, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 18, 2015 3:56 PM in response to vivekkv

I recently found a fix for our screen sharing issue. I don't know if your issue is the same but I wanted to offer my find just in case it helps others. We tried all sorts of things. Trashing PLST files, upgrading to El Capitan on one of the machines that was on Yosemite, removed the iCloud accounts and added back in, and probably some other things over the last 2 weeks. This one check box was the fix and it made us feel really stupid. I don't understand why it works but it does.

We Enabled Bonjour in Messages Preferences.

I hope this helped someone.

User uploaded file

Dec 19, 2015 1:16 PM in response to Jim Felder

Hi,

Further to Re: Screen sharing not working

The Buddies Menu looks like this when the Conversation in the main window is an iMessages one looks like this.

User uploaded file

They are not a Buddy so they cannot be Added (the item in the Menu only works for Buddies that have not been Added).

I cannot Share my Screen with them from this Menu as it works the older "iChat Way".

I cannot do the In app "iChat Way" of Video or Audio Chats.

However in the main Window the Details option reveals this for iMessages conversations.

User uploaded file

The "telephone" and "Video Camera" icons invoke FaceTime.

The overlapped rectangles is for the iMessages option to invoke the Screen Sharing app.

If you only have the iMessages account then these options do not have to be On.

User uploaded file

System Preferences > iCloud has nothing in it about the Messages App either for the iMessages account or the AIM system that can allow @mac.com, @me.com ID linked to iCloud or @iCloud.com ID to log into AIM as valid Screen Names.

i.e. removing and adding back the iCloud ID does nothing for iMessages.

In fact iCloud and iMessages can have different Apple IDs as can App Store and iTunes or FaceTime and so on.

It is better that some are paired such as App Store and iTunes as they can then access the same Money.

FaceTime and Messages can benefit from using the same ID as when FaceTime is invoked it is not a different ID calling the contact.

User uploaded file

9:16 pm Saturday; December 19, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Messages does not allow screen share on El Capitan OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.