Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word and Excel documents I try to open do not open or save

Cannot open many word or excel documents I receive by email. If they do open, I cannot save to hard disk. Message says hard disk is full. Checking hard disk there is plenty of space on it. What can I do?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 9:39 AM

What version of MS Office are you using?

18 replies

Nov 5, 2015 9:39 AM in response to trudy44e

Thanks for responding, too. 😁

Can you create and save and reopen MS Word documents yourself?

Also, have you updated MS Office? It is now at 14.5.7

My usual canned response to Office problems is to find the original DVD disc, AND the product key, remove properly, and reinstall. It helps in some case.

Would you still have that Office software on a DVD?

Nov 5, 2015 9:39 AM in response to Sparkleberry

Hello,

Yes I have done. Which is why I thought it might be a bug I imported from a website or document. I think the trouble started when a website offered to clean up my disks and I looked at their offer and did not take them up on it. Since then I have had problems. My disc space is healthy from what I can see.

I did not load MS office, so I don't have any discs, it was done by the reseller. I have Word version 14.5.6. and i update regularly.

If you think I should get it reinstalled, i can contact a local Mac reseller and get them to do that for me.

Thanks a million for your help.

Nov 5, 2015 10:13 AM in response to trudy44e

trudy44e wrote:

Hello,

Yes I have done. Which is why I thought it might be a bug I imported from a website or document. I think the trouble started when a website offered to clean up my disks and I looked at their offer and did not take them up on it. Since then I have had problems. My disc space is healthy from what I can see.

I did not load MS office, so I don't have any discs, it was done by the reseller. I have Word version 14.5.6. and i update regularly.

If you think I should get it reinstalled, i can contact a local Mac reseller and get them to do that for me.

Thanks a million for your help.

Before you go through any more trouble, please do as I suggested and post your question on the Microsoft Mac forums where MS appointed MVPs are there to assist. There's a great chance you'll find a solution there rather than on an Apple forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac

Nov 5, 2015 2:55 PM in response to trudy44e

Templeton Peck'sadvice is good if it is an MS issue.

See for example here for a similar problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/894494

If you need a complete removal and install, see that local Mac seller if it is convenient for you, have them reinstall it - I don't know if they would charge you again.

It may be that you have issues unrelated to MS.

You may have downloaded something onto your Mac that is causing issues.

Your key words are in red.

"Yes I have done. Which is why I thought it might be a bug I imported from a website or document. I think the trouble started when a website offered to clean up my disks and I looked at their offer and did not take them up on it."

Some background on malware by Klaus1

Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security

and instructions on what not to do by John Galt

" This User Tip is intended to educate anyone unfamiliar with "adware" and its effects."

How to install adware

Nov 23, 2015 6:49 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Okay, I thought I was helping, but maybe not. I thought I was experiencing the same problem as you. I have a Macbook Air with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint installed on it (for Mac). Within the last month, when I am working in Microsoft Word, I get the error message that my document could not be saved because the hard disk is full. I had researched this problem but could not find an answer. I made sure Microsoft was updated, I made sure all Apps on Mac were updated, and I still continued to receive the error message. When I have Word open on my Macbook Air, I always have Messages (the Mac app Messages, not mail) open. Today, I received the error message that Word could not save my document because the hard disk is full. I quit Messages (that was the only other app open on my computer) and then tried to save the document again. This time it worked with no error message. I opened Messages and tried saving the Word document, but I got the hard disk full error message again. So, I quit Messages again and tried saving the Word document again, and it worked. I was just trying to offer advice to see if this would work for you as well.

Nov 24, 2015 12:20 PM in response to hdwind77

Hi,

I follow you now. It may be that another app is causing the problem for me, because I have the same error message. However, being too busy I have not yet reloaded MS office, which I have been advised to do (I don't have the disks) and have been getting round the problem by changing documents to 97 - 2004 version which resolves the problem. The documents I cannot open all seem to be .docx. However, simple .doxc documents which I create, which are just typed text are OK. Creating a document and trying to add features such as bullet points etc, kicks me out of the document.

With Excel, I have not tried to sort out what the problem might be, thought the error message is the same.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Nov 25, 2015 9:50 AM in response to trudy44e

This is a 20-year old bug that neither Microsoft nor Apple have been able to track down. To work around it, try, saving your attachments to your local disk before opening them in an Office program. Other actions that may help include working from your user Documents folder, rebooting once a week or so and closing your Office programs between uses.

Simply reinstalling won't fix anything. You have to first completely uninstall, here are the steps to do that: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Troubleshoot-Office-2011-for-Mac-issues -by-completely-uninstalling-before-you-reinstall-ba8d8d13-0015-4eea-b60b-7719c2c edd17?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

Word and Excel documents I try to open do not open or save

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.