Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro is not working after upgrading el capitan and has troubleshoot with restarting

Hi,,

i have upgraded my macbook pro into el capitan and while it was installing it got stuck so i decided to turn it off and turn it on again. When i am trying to restart the it it shows me black lines codes with error and mention later that there was a problem While restarting the laptop!!

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 6:49 PM

1 reply

Nov 5, 2015 6:52 AM in response to Thu92

Hi Thu92,

I see you are a new user here in Apple Support Communities - welcome! I hope we find you contributing often in the future.

I understand that you attempted to update your MacBook Pro's operating system to Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan but the installation did not complete. You restarted the computer and now you are seeing text on the screen saying there is a problem. Is that correct? I know how distressing it must be to have your computer not working properly. Let's see if we can get you back up and running.

It is possible that the computer is starting up in verbose mode. See this article - Mac OS X: White scrolling text appears during startup. To correct this, as the article says, reset NVRAM. See this article - How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac.

If this does not resolve your issue, it is likely you are experiencing a kernel panic. This article give information about how to troubleshoot - OS X: About kernel panics.

I would suggest starting with the section titled Isolate hardware or software as the cause of the kernel panic.

Specifically -

1. Start the Mac from Recovery or its install media. Note: If a kernel panic still occurs, go to the "Hardware troubleshooting" section of this article.
  2. Open Disk Utility and use "Repair Disk" on Mac's internal hard drive (named Macintosh HD by default).

Important: If Disk Utility is unable to repair the internal drive, you should bring the Mac to a Genius at an Apple Store, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service and support. Be sure to ask that, if the drive needs reformatting or replacing, they contact you about escalating your case to a special data recovery service. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ (available in some countries only).
  3. Connect an external drive with at least 10 GB of free space. Note: Make sure the external drive does not cause kernel panics and is the only device on its USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt port. Connecting the external drive and its cables to another Mac can help make sure the drive does not cause kernel panics.
  4. Install OS X on the external drive.
  5. Start up from the external drive.
  6. Install all software updates until Software Update reports your software is up to date.
  7. Use the Apple applications on the external drive to surf the web, view QuickTime movies, email, print, scan, and/or other activities. Continue using the Mac for the amount of time it would usually take for the kernel panic to occur.
  8. If a panic occurs, go to the "Hardware troubleshooting" section of this article to further diagnose the issue.
    If a panic does not occur, go to the "Software troubleshooting" section of this article to further diagnose the issue.

If your issue is unresolved, please post back here giving the results of your tests so that we can continue to provide appropriate resources.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Sincerely.

My MacBook Pro is not working after upgrading el capitan and has troubleshoot with restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.