Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Age requirement preventing access to Yahoo Mail from iPhone

For the past few weeks, my kids have been unable to access their Yahoo Mail accounts through an iPad mini running iOS 9.1 Previously, they did not have any problems with their email accounts.

They have been asked to re-enter their Yahoo passwords in the settings page. When they do so, they get the following error message from Yahoo:

"Uh oh. You must meet certain age requirements to be able to perform this action. Please visit our Help Center for more information."

The Yahoo Help Center is of no help at all. There are no email restrictions that would be expected to cause this problem.

Interestingly, this seems to be a problem unique to iOS 9.x. They were also able to access their mail accounts from my iPhone 5 running 9.1, but now they're getting the same error message. However, both kids have an iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1 and they have no problems accessing their email accounts from those devices. It's not a problem with their Yahoo Mail accounts, as they are able to log on from a desktop computer without issues. The

I've only seen a rare comment about this problem in my searches for answers, which I find surprising because I would expect a lot of people to have encountered this issue. Does anyone have ideas about how to fix it? I've tried deleting an email account from the iPad and adding it again, but I get the same error message as above.

Anyone have ideas about how to work around this?

Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 3, 2015 11:29 PM

12 replies

Jun 26, 2017 8:45 PM in response to GC_lel

Yahoo! recently made this more difficult by tightening their security settings to reject sign-in attempts from a mobile device when set up with the "other email" instructions above. HOWEVER, you can get around this:

1. First, follow the instruction above to set up the "other email" account for imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com; AND

2. Change your Yahoo! account security settings to "Allow apps that use less secure sign in". This will tell Yahoo! to accept rather than reject your login attempts. Find out more at: https://login.yahoo.com/account/security#other-apps.

Just got my 11-year-old's Yahoo! mail account working with these two steps.

Nov 4, 2015 7:40 PM in response to Briansyddall

I have the same issue and its driving me crazy! I think when I set up my son's yahoo email I used his real birth date and when I go to look at his profile on yahoo (there is no birthdate) though I can see it on my yahoo profile. I am guessing 9.1 is looking at something on this list and not allowing under 13 year old (according to yahoo profile) to access yahoo on mail app.

If you listed your date of birth as under the age of 13, when you created your Yahoo Account, you'll be unable to access certain Yahoo services.

Yahoo limits the activities that a user may participate in on our site and prohibits editing of account information for accounts registered under the age of 13.

Accounts that are registered as under the age of 13 are not permitted to:

• Create a Flickr account
  • Participate in Yahoo Games
  • Found their own Yahoo Groups (although they are free to join most groups)
  • Participate in Yahoo Fantasy Sports games
  • Receive special offers from Yahoo
  • Use the Yahoo Messenger Webcam service
  • Add their address or phone number to their account information
  • Participate in sweepstakes or promotions, where information is shared with third parties for future marketing purposes
  • Post a listing on People Search (if they try, it will be suppressed)
  • Create a Yahoo Public Profile
  • Participate in Yahoo Auctions
  • View listings or participate in Yahoo Chat
  • Post or reply to a Yahoo Personals ad
  • Create a Yahoo Wallet
  • Edit account information such as your alternate email address

For security reasons, it's our policy not to alter the birth date listed in our users' account information. However, when the account reaches the age of 13, the above limits will be automatically removed. We do not make any exceptions to this rule, but if you'd like to create a new accountwith a correct birth date, please feel free to do so

Nov 17, 2015 10:10 AM in response to GC_lel

I was able to fix the issue - by adding his yahoo email as "other" email.

1. Go to Settings

2. Then select "Mails, Contacts,and Calenders"

3. Add account

4. Select "Other" and select "Add Mail Account"

5. add your Email and password

To set up Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) on your mobile device, please use the following settings:

Incoming Server -

Host Name: imap.mail.yahoo.com

User name: ("your Email" @yahoo.com )

Password: (Your email password)

Outgoing Server -

Host Name: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

User Name: ( "your Email" @yahoo.com )

Apr 10, 2016 8:27 AM in response to GC_lel

Wow, this fix totally worked!! 🙂 Thank You!! Thank God I found this post as has been a nightmare trying to figure out why my son's Yahoo email couldn't be accessed on his iPhone when it had worked since he got the iPhone 5 for many months. Darn Apple, wish they would post this as a realized "problem" & send a fix to all users of their iOS software instead of leaving it up to the "community" of users to solve THEIR software problems. I'm shocked none of their iOS updates hadsn't fixed this yet! Same issue with iPad as well as uses the same Apple SW.

May 15, 2016 4:40 PM in response to GC_lel

Adding as "other" isn't working for me...I wonder if it has to do with my son's email address? He has a @ymail.com account:

I tried using the settings below, as well as with YMAIL substituted for YAHOO -- no dice.

Host Name: imap.mail.YAHOO.com

User name: ("your Email" @yahoo.com )

Outgoing Server -

Host Name: smtp.mail.YAHOO.com

User Name: ( "your Email" @yahoo.com )

(When I do it as shown, i get "Cannot Get Mail. The user name or password for "imap.mail.yahoo.com" is incorrect. When I substitute YMAIL for YAHOO, I get "Cannot Connect Using SSL. Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL?", and if I select Yes, it sayd "The IMAP server "imap.mail.ymail.com" is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information for the "Incoming Mail Server" field.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Age requirement preventing access to Yahoo Mail from iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.