Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active directory administrator rights dropping off

Hi,

We currently have some Mac Pros binded to our network domain and we are using the Directory Utility (Active Directory).

We have a security group within our domain called 'Mac Administrators' whereby we add users who we wish the ability to administer Macs. I am using the 'Allow Administration by' section in Login Options > Network Account Server > Open Direct Utility > Active Directory > Advanced Options > Administrative.

I then enter the name of the security group that my mac admins are members of and save.

This does provide admin rights for the specified users for a while but we have seen it consistently drop off at random times. I have tried to pinpoint what is causing it to drop off such as password changes, mac reboots etc but I have been unable to find a pattern. It can last from 24 hours to a week.

Removing the administrator group on the mac and re-setting it back up does indeed give the admin credentials back but only for a certain amount of time before it drops off again.

This is driving me crazy has anyone experienced this with their administration?? Help!!!!

Thanks,

Tom

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 8:15 AM

Active Directory is a Microsoft server, which you can use to host your Macs.

Is that correct, or do you mean Open Directory, which is often a Mac OS X Server?

Regardless, the folks who can answer your question hang out at the Mac OS X Server part of the forums. You should post your query there.

1 reply

Active directory administrator rights dropping off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.