Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An unknown error occurred (3014)

I've been trying to upgrade my iPhone 5S from 9.0.2 to 9.1, but every time to try to upgrade via iTunes on my laptop (windows 10 64-bit), I get:

The iPhone xxx could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (3014)

If I try to update the iPhone from "settings/general/software update/download and install" the iPhone pauses, the screen flashes and the settings app disappears.

I have successfully updated an iPad between the same software versions on the same network and I believe I have the latest version of iTunes.

I've followed the advice on similar posts, but nothing changes - any suggestions would be welcome.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 4:30 AM

4 replies

Nov 5, 2015 2:49 PM in response to juanito_tc

Hi juanito_tc,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems that the iPhone could not be updated. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting. I would recommend you read these articles, they may be able to help troubleshoot the issue.

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Solve network errors

Errors: 17, 1638, 3014, 3194, 3000, 3002, 3004, 3013, 3014, 3015, 3194, 3200. You might also see these alert messages:

• "There was a problem downloading the software."
  • "The device isn't eligible for the requested build."

These alerts mean that your computer is either having difficulty contacting the Apple update server or communicating with your device.

Check your computer for software or settings that might cause communication issues between your computer and Apple or between your computer and your device.

If you still see the error message, check your security software.

If you see Error 3194, Error 17, or 'This device isn't eligible for the requested build' in iTunes - Apple Support

Cheers

An unknown error occurred (3014)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.