Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer switch - turn off permanently with superglue?

Having used iPhones for some years I've found the most frustrating aspect of their design, is accidentally knocking the exposed Ringer switch (next to the volume control buttons on the side) causing myself, and I'm sure many others, to miss important phone calls.

I have tried to bring this issue to Apple's attention a number of times because it's incomprehensible to me that Apple has never offered a deactivate option for the Ringer switch.

The problem is exacerbated on my iPhone 6 Plus, because it's wider and therefore more exposed.

I have a disabled son whom I've promised I will always be available to receive a call from, anytime, so the Ringer switch to me is worse than useless and a serious liability.

Searching online it seems the only app available to stop the iPhone from turning off the ringer when it's accidentally bumped requires jail breaking the iPhone first.

Then the though of using superglue crossed my mind...

However, before doing something that radical without any idea of the possible consequences I thought it might be wise to ask whether anyone here has tried supergluing the Ringer switch 'Off' on their iPhone?

And...

Was it effective?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 3:24 AM

24 replies

Nov 4, 2015 5:36 AM in response to Michael Black

Thank you for replying Michael.

I have no argument that the mute switch (Ringer switch - as I've called it) is a great idea, which I have intentionally used from time to time, it's just that it would be an even greater idea if there was a way to disable it from being accidentally activated/deactivated..

I have tried a Spigen case, but because of the flexibility designed into it I've found the cases have flexed enough against the iPhone while in my pocket to change the mute switch.

I will check out the Sena folio case you mention...

Mar 30, 2017 1:05 AM in response to snowywebb

yes I super glued my volume buttons and also the ringer on/off. so far it works great. I let it dry upside down so the glue didn't go into the phone. no more turning off my ringer by accident or turning the volume all the way down by accident in my pocket. I can't believe Apple still has the buttons placed on the side of the iPhone 6 where you naturally have to hold them to turn the power off.

Jun 20, 2017 1:33 PM in response to snowywebb

I realize this is 2 years later but maybe someone can use my answer. I just put a piece of tape on it. I use a rubber bumper type case so it is covered by the case. I was always missing calls because I accidentally turned the switch off. Seriously Apple needs to address this issue. At a minimum put a notification on the screen that the switch is set to off.

Nov 4, 2015 5:17 AM in response to snowywebb

I find the mute switch incredible useful. I use it to mute my phone multiple times every day - in meetings, restaurants, theaters and so forth. That way I don't have to turn the phone off or alter my volume settings, just click the mute on or off as needed.

You could look into a case. Many iphone cases are of thick enough material that the side controls are effectively recessed in cutouts making it much harder to accidentally bump any of them. I use a Sena leather folio case and I have never accidentally tripped the mute switch.

p.s. Or maybe try a full cover case, like an otter box defender, where all external controls are behind covers?

Nov 4, 2015 5:10 AM in response to carl wolf

You've floored me Carl...

I have Parkinsons disease, a progressively degenerative neurological illness which has effected my mental capacity to think through how what I say might be interpreted and feel sick at the thought that explaining the reasoning behind my question could be judged in that way.

Its because I didn't want to be thought of as looking for sympathy that I didn't mention that in the initial question - the involuntary movements caused by the Parkinsons often causes me to turn off the ringer when I'm in a phone call and is another reason I'm looking for a way to deactivate it.

I was simply looking for help.

When I find a way to delete this thread I will do so.

Nov 4, 2015 7:37 AM in response to annacast

Thank you for your kind response....

I have tried various types of cases with previous iPhones with varied success but the 6 Plus seems a lot more prone to this issue, because it seems to be a lot more flexible.

As I mentioned to Michael I have tried a rigid Spigen shell case but there was enough flex between the phone and the case to turn on the Ringer silencer.

What I find ridiculous is the fact that despite being aware of the issue (its something that has been discussed online in various forums for years), not only will Apple not address it, I believe the guidelines App creators have to work with forbids the approval by Apple of any App that could be used to disable it.

The Superglue option is looking more and more attractive..

Nov 4, 2015 8:26 AM in response to snowywebb

Snowywebb,

I may have a compromising solution to your problem, at hand. I've been a fan of Spigen cases for a while now, and had ordered a Neo Hybrid EX Metal case for my 6Plus, last year. Loved the case and I will tell you, with the case installed, the rocker switch is nigh impossible to switch back and forth. I'm linking you to a video where you can see for yourself. Fast forward to 2:04 to see the switch. The cases, or bumpers, is what they really are, come in all of the colors the phones come in, and I believe I paid no more than $20 for mine from Amazon.com

Here is the link to order one, you select the color.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NCF7TIG/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Watch this video. 2:04 shows the switch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35kkosS8FpE

Nov 4, 2015 8:30 AM in response to snowywebb

snowywebb wrote:

Thank you for your kind response....

I have tried various types of cases with previous iPhones with varied success but the 6 Plus seems a lot more prone to this issue, because it seems to be a lot more flexible.

As I mentioned to Michael I have tried a rigid Spigen shell case but there was enough flex between the phone and the case to turn on the Ringer silencer.

What I find ridiculous is the fact that despite being aware of the issue (its something that has been discussed online in various forums for years), not only will Apple not address it, I believe the guidelines App creators have to work with forbids the approval by Apple of any App that could be used to disable it.

The Superglue option is looking more and more attractive..

Those are not mere guidelines that forbid other apps from modifying core functions of iOS. That is a rigid part of the entire iOS security model. Since no 3rd party app has access to nor can modify any core functions, there is very little to no possibility of malicious code taking advantage of core functions, or inadvertently fubar'ing core functions. Imagine if some app was able to modify the ring vibrate functions, and some clueless programmer did something that disabled all call notifications? People would be livid about that. Not to mention it would make the vetting of software for the App Store a nightmare for Apple.

Before I'd permanently glue a switch, what about trying a small piece of vinyl or other thick tape over the switch, then put it in a full rigid case? Or find a rigid case that completely recesses the switch, and glue a piece of plastic over the outside of the slot in the case so the switch cannot be accessed, but your phone does not have a permanent and possibly warranty voiding modifications. If you get a little creative, I'm sure you could find a case that could be modified to shield the switch without having to alter the phone itself.

Nov 4, 2015 8:55 AM in response to snowywebb

I honestly believe this is what you're looking for. The case will not move once it's installed. Make sure you order the metal case. On that Amazon website, when you choose a color, make sure you pick the color with the NHEX(M) the "M" is the metal case. I don't know why when you go to select the color, it allows you to select the other colors at the bottom. That's a plastic version of the case, and it will break after removing it 2-3 times. I have the metal case and it's perfect.

Ringer switch - turn off permanently with superglue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.