Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard eject button does not eject tray

Hello I have a LG external USB reader/writer. I have been unable to find an answer on an issue with the eject button on the wireless keyboard that ships with iMac 27" 2013 model. As the subject line says when I depress the eject button it does not eject the tray. I have tried it with a cd/dvd in the drive as well as without and it does not eject. Does anyone know why this might be? I assume it *could* be because the iMac had Yosemite installed and I upgraded to El Capitan. To complicate the issue I did not have the external drive during the period that the iMac was running Yosemite.

Thank you,

Mel

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 8:00 AM

Mel,

If you have a DVD or CD stuck in the drive, restart the computer while holding down the eject key. Another method is using Terminal and typing:

Diskutil Eject

6 replies

Nov 4, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Mel Herndon

Using rkaufmann87's suggestion (sometimes I forget about the command line in OS X) I was able to see that if there is no disk in the external drive the command "diskutil list" shows only the hard drive from manufacture, and in my case 2 external western digital hard drives. If one opens the system profiler in Applications/Utilities the drive is there regardless of disk or no disk. I assume since the drive is seen in profiler but not in the command line there may have been an issue with the upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan. I have no idea and won't invest any more time in researching something that should just work like most other things on a Mac. Now I'm off to chase how to backup my save games from half life 2 so I can delete and reinstall it. Again in this case the escape key does not bring up the options/settings menu to either quit the game, or adjust the settings. Also there is an issue when using the option + command + escape key to force quit an app that won't come up either. So I have to go to the Apple icon and select it that way. Too bad so sad I guess. No more paying additional dollars for a Mac when I can have the same headaches with a PC and save money to boot.

<Edited by Host>

keyboard eject button does not eject tray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.