Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wav vs Aif

Hi

2 questions, one general, one specific:

Is there any reason to prefer wav to aif files, is one better than the other or easier to use in an audio software? I thought audio guys usually use wav files.

I have aif files from a reel that were digitized. Would making them wav files to send to audio guy be easier for him to use? Would anything be lost?

best

elmer

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 6:44 AM

The two format types are equivalent. As is typical,with cross-platform stuff, Mac applications will tend to be happy with either one; Windows, not so much.

If your audio person uses a Windows system, he/she may want to convert the files to WAV. Whether they would do it themselves with their own software or would prefer that you do it, is something you should probably ask about. If it's being converted from lossless AIFF to lossless WAV there should not be any quality hit.

Russ

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2015 6:44 AM in response to elmerlang

The two format types are equivalent. As is typical,with cross-platform stuff, Mac applications will tend to be happy with either one; Windows, not so much.

If your audio person uses a Windows system, he/she may want to convert the files to WAV. Whether they would do it themselves with their own software or would prefer that you do it, is something you should probably ask about. If it's being converted from lossless AIFF to lossless WAV there should not be any quality hit.

Russ

Nov 4, 2015 8:20 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the reply! Exactly what I needed, even what I didn't know I needed, actually.

Anyway to tell if I have lossless aif and lossless wav? I'd prefer exporting from FCP 7 since this is from an old project with the digitized reel marked, tho can use FCPX or probably even QT Player.

As always, thanks for your help!

elmer

Wav vs Aif

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.