Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

input device not responding correctly

Thanks for looking at my post.

Everything was work just fine until an hour ago when I needed to reboot my computer for other reasons. My problem is that I can not get full function with wireless Apple keyboard. I have done intial hardware troubleshooting and determine that it is not my hardware. I am able to enter Open Firmware prompt and able to type and see every single key stroke that I press. Once I boot to login screen only several keys I see working fine such as volume control, escape key, up/down key. I can't even login as my user. I mirrored my harddrive two nights ago (superduper) and tried that drive to boot with and same problem. I have tried three other wireless keyboards with the same problem too. I am stuck now that I have tried different hardware and different boot partitions with same problem. I am hoping it is a simple setting that is limiting my data input.

Thanks, Paguyo.

PPC mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 13, 2006 2:58 PM

7 replies

Nov 13, 2006 4:55 PM in response to scb

Thanks for the reply.

From Open Firmware:
1)set-defaults
2)reset-nvram
3)reset-all
4)computer automatically reboots while I then hold down correct keys to reset PRAM.
5)at login I try to type and still now response from keyboard.
6)try to re-pair different keyboards successfully but still no response from keyboard.

Nov 13, 2006 5:58 PM in response to scb

Thanks again for reply.

Well maybe I didn't explain my problem clearly. I can only see what I'm typing while at the Open Firmware prompt. Once I boot up into the login screen that is where my problem starts. I can't type on my keyboard to even log in as any user because all logins requires a password. I am stuck basically once I hit the power button and get to the login. No alfanumeric keys respond to keypresses at login window. By the way, both wired and bluetooth mouse works fine. I'm about to head to the store to buy a wired usb keyboard but I doubt it would solve my problem.

Nov 13, 2006 8:08 PM in response to scb

I've done more troubleshooting. I inserted Installer Disk1 and booted from cd OK. I then noticed that my keyboard response to all my keys on the keyboard. I clicked on Utilities on the main menu then proceeded to the following:

1)Reset Password: here I could type in any alfanumeric key and see the character display.

2)Disk Utility: here I could run disk verify and verify permissions just fine.

3)Terminal: here I could bring up a Terminal window and proceed to type anything on my keyboard and the correct character is displayed.

4)Network Utility: here I could type in an address and poke around on my network just fine.

From the above troubleshooting I feel that my hardware is OK and that booting from CD gives me back keyboard usage while only in this boot-from-cd mode. Problem starts if I try to normally boot my computer and get to the login screen. Remember earlier that I tried both internal and external harddrives that were mirrored with SuperDuper three days ago and same problem with both as startup drives. I have blown out all my PRAM and NVRAM with no luck. I can't do anything within the OS because I can't even get passed user login.

Any suggestion from anyone would be much appreciated. I am ready to do a virgin software load but feel if I do this my keyboard will still not work properly.

input device not responding correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.