Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable Photo Stream Apple TV 4

Just opened up my new Apple TV, very excited. I went to make sure that you needed a Apple ID password to access photos, as you did in Apple TV 3 (I don't want anyone looking through all my photos) and as it turns out, you just had to hit ok when it asked you if you wanted to turn it on. There was a way to set a restriction in ATV 3 to turn off Photo Stream, but does not seem to be here in ATV 4. This seems like a privacy issue. Anyone know of a work around (besides deleting all my photos from Photo Stream) to make sure no one snoops around my photos, but can still enjoy my Apple TV when I'm not around?

Thanks

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 9:45 AM

5 replies

Nov 5, 2015 3:59 AM in response to ChicleB76

Here is the problem:

I have "Upload to my photos photostream" turned on on my IPhone 6S.......I also have photostream turned on on the new Apple TV 4th generation. If I take a new photo on my phone, the picture then uploads to my photostream on the apple tv real time.....if i then delete the photo on my phone, the photo is also then deleted from the apple tv photostream in real time.....HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM BEGINS......lets say I take 5 photos and after I take those photos TURN OFF "upload to my photostream" on my phone, then decide to delete those 5 photos from my phone......the photos are now deleted from my phone, but ARE NOW PERMANENTLY LOCKED IN MY PHOTOSTREAM ON THE APPLE TV.....even after the photos are deleted from my phone (I even went to icloud.com and logged in my account to make sure the photos are deleted from my photstream, which they were). So now I am stuck with unwanted photos on my photostream that are deleted everywhere except Apple TV.......

THE PREVIOUS VERSIONS OF APPLE TV ALLOWED YOU TO HOLD DOWN THE SELECT BUTTON ON A PHOTO UNTIL IS SHOCK, AND THEN ALLOWED YOU TO DELETE IT..........UNFORTUNATELY, THE APPLE TV 4 DOES NOT HAVE THIS SAME FEATURE AND IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING BC IT IS A SIMPLE TASK.....WHO WANTS DELETED PHOTOS SHOWING UP ON YOUR PHOTOSTREAM?

Nov 8, 2015 5:24 AM in response to Balls5645654

How this is working is a weird, but logical in a certain way. When you delete a photo is not yet deleted from your icloud photo library, just moved to the "Recently Deleted" library, where it stays for an additional 30 days. So, just go to the recently deleted on any of your devices, and remove the photos. They'll disappear from your TV in seconds.

hope this helped.

Mar 20, 2016 6:18 AM in response to ChicleB76

As Ionczy said, go to Settings/Accounts//iCloud but instead of just turing off photo sharing and photo stream, logout of iCloud. This worked for me for the time being as none of the other Apps I currently have installed use iCloud. I don't imagine this will always be an solution but at least for now I don't have to worry about flatmates looking at my photos.

How to disable Photo Stream Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.