Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the advantages of the new ePub format?

iBook

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 2:14 PM

About ePubs created with iBooks Author - Apple Support

7 replies

Nov 5, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Apple suport says that there will still be most features of IBooks so this is good. I like the content page and this is a step forward. Please explain the comment about the ePub produced.... In other applications they might appear slightly different.....Does this mean that the ePub will have a different font on a Kindle device ? How different might it be when viewed on Amazon books? Is this allowed? Or does the comment refer to viewing on different sized iPads and on the iPhone?

Nov 5, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Apple suport says that there will still be most features of IBooks so this is good. I like the content page and this is a step forward. Please explain the comment about the ePub produced.... In other applications they might appear slightly different.....Does this mean that the ePub will have a different font on a Kindle device ? How different might it be when viewed on Amazon books? Is this allowed? Or does the comment refer to viewing on different sized iPads and on the iPhone?

Nov 5, 2015 3:14 PM in response to kenfromUK

To put an epub on a Kindle it first has to be converted to .mobi format. You can ask on the Kindle forums what happens when that is done.

The comment means that every epub reader for different platforms has its own quirks about display. Unless you have embedded a font in your epub, normally the reader chooses what font to use from a list provided by the app. One of the main advantages of epub format is that, unlike .ibooks format, it is not confined to Apple devices.

Nov 6, 2015 7:20 AM in response to kenfromUK

Sorry, I don't know which books in the iBookstore may have been done in the new epub format, and I don't know of any way to tell from the listings in the store.

The variety of templates that can be used for the new epub format is quite limited compared to that for the .ibooks format. I think the only way to tell how suitable it is for your particular book is to try it.

Also do a google search on "ibooks author epub" to see what various people have written about it.

Nov 11, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I have spent some time following up your suggestion. It would seem that the iBook ePub will not work fully on other platforms and an Apple logo is present on each page. The gallery does not work as these other platforms have a much more basic ePub.

It would seem that text and photos could be pasted into Pages and a simple ePub made from there. This would show up well and work for fiction books or non fiction with photos embedded on each page.

I suppose it depends on the type of book one wishes to produce...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.