Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Users on different machines

If I set up a server using OS X server, can I have users on the server that I can access on multiple machines?

I have an iMac and a MacBook currently, and on the iMac I have a user for everyone in my family. On the MacBook, I only have one user. If I set up a server, can I have the user information there, so that each person will be able to have the same setup regardless of which machine they are using? I am thinking mainly about documents, email, iDevices, sharing media, backup, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a Mac mini, sticking it in a corner without a monitor with several hard drives attached to it with media and backup, and mainly controlling it thru the iMac.

Thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 12:41 PM

"If I set up a server can I have the user information there so that each person will be able to have the same setup regardless of which machine they are using?"

Yes. What you're describing is known as Open Directory.

However the specifics on how to do this depend largely on your skill set and understanding of basic networking concepts such as ethernet, DNS, network switches, DNS, routers, DHCP and not least DNS. Some command line experience would also be useful. Basically it's not as simple as it seems and there are lots of potential 'gotchas' in the process. There are lots of tutorials and how to guides available on the internet on how to do this but they would for your situation be generalised at best.

Does this help?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Mr. Ected

"If I set up a server can I have the user information there so that each person will be able to have the same setup regardless of which machine they are using?"

Yes. What you're describing is known as Open Directory.

However the specifics on how to do this depend largely on your skill set and understanding of basic networking concepts such as ethernet, DNS, network switches, DNS, routers, DHCP and not least DNS. Some command line experience would also be useful. Basically it's not as simple as it seems and there are lots of potential 'gotchas' in the process. There are lots of tutorials and how to guides available on the internet on how to do this but they would for your situation be generalised at best.

Does this help?

Dec 1, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Mr. Ected

There's a whole load over on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=os+x+server+setup

If you google "OS X Server setup" or OS X Server Tutorial" I'm sure there will be plenty for you to aim at. However you may find the wealth of information bewildering for your needs?

If all you want is a central source for files and media that can be accessed by everyone in your network then a QNAP or similar would be simpler and more than adequate and a lot less involved than OS X Server.

Glad I could help.

Users on different machines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.