Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini Firmware Update

Mac mini EFI Firmware update 1.1 is released! Any problems with it?

Mac mini (Early 2006) Mac OS X (10.4.7) Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz)

Posted on Nov 13, 2006 3:40 PM

40 replies

Nov 13, 2006 9:22 PM in response to mystuffs

I don't see any difference.

My Intel Mini has had an issue since day one where the DVI LCD monitor won't recognize the Mini has booted up and will display "no signal." The Mini is fully booted as I can SSH into it, remote desktop it and hear the volume change sounds when I tap the buttons and hear applications like Mail and iChat running.

To get the screen to recognize the Mini I have to hold the power button down until it shuts off, reboot, hold the power button again till it shuts down then reboot. That third time is always the one that works.

I had hopes that the firmware update would help this but it didn't. Rebooting after the firmware updated (didn't see anything on screen, not even a progress bar, and yes it did update, system profiler shows the correct version number) the screen was dark until I rebooted a third time.

So, no problems, but no solutions either for me.

Too many to list Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Nov 14, 2006 12:00 AM in response to W. Raider

I don't see any difference.

My Intel Mini has had an issue since day one where
the DVI LCD monitor won't recognize the Mini has
booted up and will display "no signal." The Mini is
fully booted as I can SSH into it, remote desktop it
and hear the volume change sounds when I tap the
buttons and hear applications like Mail and iChat
running.

I think mine might have been in the middle of the EFI update when I aborted it, as I saw nothing on the screen.

I downloaded and made the Firmware Update CD and tried booting to it. It doesn't seem to be doing anything but the CD is now stuck inside the Mac Mini and I don't know how to get it out. 😟 I have tried holding the power button down, and I see the sequence of flashing lights, but when I let go I can't hear it accessing the CD drive, like I did when I initially put it in.

Steve

Nov 14, 2006 11:16 PM in response to mystuffs

I have the same problem as "Fugitive". I started the update process and had a black screen for the whole time. After a really long time (approx. 15 or 20 minutes) mac mini restarted by itself and since the I have a black screen. I tried to restart it for several times but nothing happened. It starts with the typical start-routine-sound and keeps on having a black screen.
I even tried the firmware restoration CD but with the same "success" as "Fugitive". Now CD is stucked to the mac mini media slot and I don't know how to go on except going to the next apple store. Does anybody has any idea how to handle the problem now?

Befor I had all these firmware trouble on the mac mini I updated the EFI firmware on my MBPro. No problems. It works properly and has - hopefully - no more problems with the standby mode.

Nov 15, 2006 7:09 AM in response to Julian.Apostata

i had the same problem....

I ran the patch trought apple update thing. followed the instructions to every detail. and middle of the update it did shut down or reboot. after that it was completly death on the mac couldnt get any response on keyboard nor the mouse. it was completly dead. and the firmware restore cd is stuck in the mac as you also mentioned, called apple support. did everything they said. but nothing worked, tryed all the tips they gave and let it be unplugged for 12 hrs to see if that helped .... but it didnt, so today i went all way back to apple store where i bought it. and what they will do is send it on repair, was something about Main Board change.

well hopefully ill get it back in some days and see what they did to repair it. any way good luck for the rest of you guys who got the same problem with the firmware update.

Nov 15, 2006 7:18 AM in response to D-Force

It has been reported on macfixit.com that doing a parameter ram reset will clear some of the firmware update problems.

Turn off mac.

Get an extra pair of hands. 🙂

Turn on Mac and at same time hold down CMD Option p and r keys and keep them held down until you hear the start-up chime for the 3rd time.

(That's four keys you have to hold down. The CMD key has an Apple on it.)

Nov 15, 2006 8:56 AM in response to Boece

Ok, I was unaware of the three restarts. I read a document on Apple's site before posting and had already tried that key combination. I however did not wait for it to restart the third time. Will try that when I get home tonight.

As far as I can tell it appears that the system is actually working, it's just the display is not working.

I wonder how wide spread this is?

Two Questions:

1. I've modified my mini buy installing more ram and a faster / larger hard drive. I assume if I need to send it back I am going to have to undo all that? Ideas?

2. I do not have support for this mini, as this was caused by one of their updates do you think I am going to have a problem?

Dave...

Nov 15, 2006 9:06 AM in response to BeeZed

I wonder how wide spread this is?

based on the relatively few postings here, I'd say issues with the firmware update aren't widespread. That doesn't mean that some users aren't having issues as clearly some are, but typically if there's a widespread problem, these Discussions reverberate around it for days.

1. I've modified my mini buy installing more ram and
a faster / larger hard drive. I assume if I need to
send it back I am going to have to undo all that?
Ideas?

Not so much with the memory, as long as it's good, but certainly as far as the hard drive is concerned, Apple would likely advise you that your warranty was void if they see an indication you have replaced the original drive with one that is not supported for this product.

2. I do not have support for this mini, as this was
caused by one of their updates do you think I am
going to have a problem?

I think you will have a problem with warranty support if Apple were to detect anything that to them appears to have damaged or compromised the system. Opening the system is not in itself a problem, but if any action you take once having done so then causes problems, they can decline to provide warranty support. In this situation, they might, for example, claim that your replacement of the hard drive was responsible, or complicit, in the failure of the system after the update was applied. That isn't to say they WILL say that, but they COULD.

Nov 15, 2006 2:03 PM in response to mystuffs

I have some funny news on the EFI firmware problem.
You remember that I tried to do the firmware restoration and the CD stucked in the mac mini with a black screen. After really nothing seems to help (even the Command Option+PR-Key) I disconnected keyboard and mouse and then the normal screen appears again. I reconnected keyboard and mouse and the mini worked properly again with restored firmware.
I tried the software update utility once again and the firmware update-tool appeared again. So I tried it once again.
Once again the mac mini stucked on the black screen but after approx. 30 minutes it restarts itself. Now I have a white screen without anything on it. In germany it's now a good time for taking a long nap. So I will keep the mac mini running an d look what is the status tomorrow.

Nov 15, 2006 3:00 PM in response to mystuffs

Now I'm one step beyond.
The firmware update worked after I disconnected ALL periphericals with USB or Firewire. Especially an extarenal HDD seems to be the trouble maker.
Aftet the update mac mini started properly again. I shut it down, reconnected all devices and the problem reappears. The mac mini stucks with a white screen.
Unfortunately all important data like music, movies and documents are on the external HDD.
So does anybody have an idea how to go on with this new topic?

iMac G5, Mac Mini 2,0 Intel Dual Core, PowerBook G4 12", MacBookPro 15" 2,16 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Nov 15, 2006 5:57 PM in response to Julian.Apostata

Well I have tried everything I can to get this thing rebooted with no luck. I've also tried to find on Apple's website some kind of support. Man I will say I love Appl but their support just *****. I guess I should re-state that. Trying to GET to support is painful. I've been searching the support site for 45 mins trying to find an email address and or phone number to call for support and can't find it. Is it just me or do they hide that very well? I can call everywhere in the world to order but if I need support well thats another thing.

Can anyone set me in the right direction for email or phone number please? Am I just an idiot and can't see it?

Dave...

Mac mini Firmware Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.