Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display doesn't always turn back on

I have a Mac Mini connected to a Lenovo ThinkVision L220X LCD display using a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

I also have a MacBook Pro connect to the the same display using a Mini Displayport to VGA adapter.

I can switch the display between the two Macs using the switch on the front of the display.

I have the Mac Mini set up to turn the display off after 10 minutes and I can also turn off the display by moving the mouse to the lower right corner. Most of the time I can turn the display back on by hitting any key on the keyboard but every now and then the display will not turn back on no matter what I do. The Mac Mini is still running and I can use Screen Sharing on the MacBook Pro to get in and restart the Mac Mini.

How can I stop it from not allowing the display to turn on?

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 11:19 AM

4 replies

Nov 11, 2015 4:29 AM in response to ATJ777

Not that this helps - but I have the same problem. There are numerous lengthy threads about this on other sites. None of their suggestions have helped me, or most of the people on the threads. I am, however, able to get things working again by turning the monitor back on. About to send my Mini back to Apple, because the combination of this problem and the WiFi problem (not able to reconnect to WiFi after resuming from sleep) far outweigh the benefits of remaining in the Apple ecosystem.

Nov 13, 2015 10:04 PM in response to mmp1964

I had a chat session the other night with Apple Support. The support person suggested that computers are like organisms and they get tired and need a rest. I am not kidding.

They suggested I need to restart the computer once a week to stop the problem from happening - only it can happen less than 12 hours after the last time it happened and I restarted the computer to resolve it.

I was so happy doing the feedback survey for the chat session.

Display doesn't always turn back on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.