Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Battery life useless since El Capitan

Before updating my battery lasted for more than 10 hours, since then i can be happy to reach 3 HOURS !!!

My MacBook is useless, i have to take my charger everywhere

Is there an official statement for this problem?

Is it possible to downgrade to Yosemite (since nothing really changed except my draining battery)??

I don't use any other apps, didn't install any new programs and basically just use Safari

(Macbook Air Mid 2013)

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 12:04 PM

20 replies

Nov 18, 2015 5:37 PM in response to Mario1092

Same problem here MacBook Air down to 4.5 hours. Only change was I upgraded to El Capitan. Done all the usual requested junk a (SMC etc.)number of times.

I also have a MacBook retina same issue and just purchased a new iMac Retina it's is constantly freezing (needs power off to fix) or the stupid colour wheel is on for minutes.

Absolutely the worst OS upgrade I have experienced after working for Apple and using their products since 1984. I'm VERY disappointed with my Apple products.

Apple needs the get their act together and pull out all stops the get El Capitan fixed ASAP.

Nov 24, 2015 3:03 PM in response to Mario1092

Same issue here. MacBook Air mid 2012. System diagnostic tool shows 98% battery health, iStat shows 1% battery health !!!! after 450 cycles. At first I had about 20% of battery capacity. Now I can't even turn it on with out charger. I have tried to reset SMC and other advices. No results. And yes it shows service battery.

1) Why did battery capacity fall so rapidly fast? OK->OK->OK-> 2 hours of battery life? how is that possible?

2) Why system diagnostic data and iStat data differ?

3) Why it can no longer calculate remaining battery life?

Jan 2, 2016 7:22 AM in response to Mario1092

This problem started in my mid 2013 macbook air before i upgraded to El capitan.

I noticed little drain in Yosemite but with el capitan, battery really lost at least half of its performance.

Went to genius, checked it everything was fine. Tried all the ways to decrease my battery usage. no result. my 10 hour long battery dropped to 5 sometimes 4 when i watched movies online.

After reading all these comments here, finally decided that this is not about my machine, but older macs obviously cannot keep up with new el capitan and obviously apple does not read any of these complaints here.

Finally, i did a clean reinstall to mountain lion(which came with the machine), and got my battery life back.

it is unbelievable after months of bad battery life, in the last 1,5 hour it came down to 85% though i kept downloading programmes, resetting everything.

It is like on its first weeks now.

I know el capitan has all the continuity, and new tricks that are practical, but the sole purpose of buying this laptop was having a light, long lasting computer with me without carrying stupid chargers. That is why i traded my up to date system with battery life.

And recommend it for people who don't think they would lose so many things by going back to original OSX on their laptops.

I followed these steps: (though this is for going back to yosemite, you can go back to anything that was your original system)

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/18/clean-install-os-x-yosemite/

Feb 1, 2016 7:35 PM in response to Mythrandir

Mythrandir, regrettably I have to agree with your statement and assessment.

I too have had huge anomalies with battery life and battery reporting. As an example when I started this post the battery monitor showed 72% @ 2.5hr now a few hours later (Okay I had to stop and take care of critters & dinner) the meter shows 61% @ 4.6hr ***? Review of the activity monitor for both time periods, shows no apps using excessive power or CPU. I have a mid 2012 MBP 15 Retina and Coconut battery shows my battery capacity at 88% which is well above the normal operation status of similar age & type of battery.

As you point out the issue isn't necessarily with hardware, or applications but with the OS itself. I would hope the discussion group and Apple would begin to provide direct answers to these type of questions.

Macbook Battery life useless since El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.