Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't connect to the internet after waking up from sleep mode

Hi.

The problem I am experiencing with my Mac is that it won't connect to the internet after sleep mode

The problem occur with the first page(in Safari) or an app that tries to load something after i log on the Mac after being away for a while. The pages that won't load are often Facebook or Spotify, but sometimes YouTube or a local news page.

If Facebook for example won't load i can still use a page like Youtube to watch videos on but the only way to get Facebook to work again is to disconnect my wifi and reconnect. While this temporarily fixes the problem (until next time i try to log on my mac) it's extremely annoying and i'm not sure how to fix the problem.

I also own and use an iPhone, a gaming PC and a PS4 and they don't experience this problem so I don't think this has anything to do with the router i'm using.

Here are som details:

I have El Capitan 10.11 but the problem have been there sin Mavericks

Using an ASUS RT-AC66U router and i'm connected on the 5.0 Ghz bandwidth

I have the late 2013 MB Pro. (the stock 250 GB version)

Sorry for my bad english (from Norway) and I hope for a quick reply.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 1:46 PM

3 replies

Nov 4, 2015 3:37 PM in response to JohWer

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jan 18, 2016 11:56 AM in response to Linc Davis

Okay. First i will apologize for such a late response. That's because I was incredibly busy with work before xmas and I only had time the last week or to test what you said. Here is what happened:

I booted into safe mode and used it for a few days (a nightmare since animations are lagging and I can't use sound. I ended up using another computer most of the time 😝)

I tested it in safe mode over a few days. This was for the most part after I got home from work (4 pm) and after being away for a few hours (so maybe 9 pm). This was the result:

Logon 1: Worked without problem

Logon 2: The problem occurred

Logon 3: Worked without problem

Logon 4: The problem occurred

Logon 5: The problem occurred.

Logon 6: The problem occurred.

Then I booted up like normal and used it for a few days just like you said. The problems happens when i'm away for a long time, like overnight or after I get home from work. This is the results:

Logon 1: Everything worked fine.

Logon 2: The problem occurred

Logon 3: Could use the internet without problem.

Logon 4: Problem occurred again.

... Point is, the problem i'm having still happens. In the beginning (after booting ut like normal) it only took a few seconds of delay and the page that was "stuck" would load, but as i'm writing the problem is the same as before (meaning it can take like 10-15 mins before anything happens with the page thats stuck loading.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

Feb 7, 2016 8:23 AM in response to JohWer

This is something that's been driving me wild for 6-9 months now. Like you the problem occurs after the lid has been lifted on the Macbook and it's woken up. Like you the problem seems to be confined to just a few sites; for me it's mostly Facebook but also occasionally Twitter and quite often a google search from the URL box will hang too. Other sites are just fine, no problem at all. It only ever happens with Safari. Firefox and Chrome work just dandy. Also, if I go to Facebook using Chrome or Firefox, Safari will then load Facebook just fine.

The only cure, other than different browser that I've found is to turn wi-fi off and back on again. After this everything is fine until the next sleep and wake.

I've tried re-installing OS X from scratch to a clean drive and I've turned off all plugins.

I've been trawling the internet for months, this is the only thread I've found remotely reflecting my problems. Stumped.

Mac won't connect to the internet after waking up from sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.