Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Digi Rack 002 into Apogee Ensemble via ADAT with Logic

Hi all,

This topic had been beaten to death, I know, but I can't seem to find any specific answers online anywhere. Basically I am wanting to add 8 analog outputs in addition to the 8 from my Apogee Ensemble (original FireWire silver version). Idea is to have 16 channels of analog output go into my analog console for mixing, then record the stereo/2 mix from the console back into Logic.

My absolute ideal situation would be to use the Ensemble's converters for recording (either the stereo mix from console, or the individual synth parts from my gear, one-at-a-time). So far, I've only been successful at getting the Ensemble to act as 8 ADAT additional outputs for the Digi 002, but that means the 002 is the master (clock) and all recording has to go through the inferior 002 inputs...all at only 44.1k.

Does anyone have any specific step-by-step info to set up the 002 with Ensemble in Logic so the Ensemble is the 'master' and all I'm doing with the 002 is using the 8 ADAT inputs and sending them out the 8 analog outs to my mixer? I believe there have been people doing this with MOTU interfaces and similar but haven't seen much on this set up...especially with Logic.

Any detailed help would be completely appreciated as extensive manual and forum reading has gotten me nowhere.

Thanks!

Eric

Using

Logic Pro 9.1.7

Mac OSX Lion 10.7

Ensemble (original) with Maestro 2 routing software

Digi 002 rack with Digicore manager 9.0.3

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Logic Pro 9.1.7

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 2:57 PM

7 replies

Nov 4, 2015 5:55 PM in response to Ericmilescloud

This will all depend on the Ensemble's drivers seeing the ADAT out as part of the Ensemble's I/O.

Can you set the Digi's clock Master/Slave from the Digi's front or back panel.

Only interface plugged into the computer is the Ensemble.

ADAT out from Ensemble to ADAT IN on the Digi.

Ensemble Clock Internal, Digi Slave/via ADAT

I'm guessing you may have to either plug the Digi into the computer to set this up with the Digi's software interface, after doing so unplug the Digi's firewire connection.

All outputs should be present in the Ensembles software interface.

Nov 4, 2015 7:11 PM in response to Ericmilescloud

In this setup the Digi will be an output slave only, Ensemble will be your Input device, using only a sing ADAT cable, Ens-OUT, Digi-IN.

Only thing I'm not sure about is setting the Digi to slave, whether you need to plugin the Firewire connection to setup Slave and set Output volume and whether it will hold settings once you unplug the Digi's Firewire connection. (which I think is a good idea)

Nov 24, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Pancenter

Ugh.....so finally had another crack at it and having absolutely no luck getting the combined outputs from the ensemble and digi 002 in logic pro 9. Also not able to set up an aggregate device in audio/midi manager as the 002 isn't compatible with it. I hope I'm not up the creek using these two interfaces in Logic. @pancenter, you said you may have another idea/solution?

Using Digi Rack 002 into Apogee Ensemble via ADAT with Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.