Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adventures in macintosh land

Ok, so I got a PowerMac 1.8 G5 with 2 Giggle Bits of RAM (spelled wrong intentionally) that did not have a hard drive. (It was destroyed for security reasons.) I am trying to get anything possible installed on this and am getting exceedingly frustrated. I do not own other MAC's and only got this one to try to learn the system since I primarily do PC support but everyone seems to think I know Macintosh.

So far I have found this system to be excessively difficult to do anything with. I have:

Reset the PRAM using the alt/windows/p/r keys

Tried linux and OS X 10.2 DVD's

Tried USB booting the system

Tried finding a way of building a HDD with the stuff to install anything on the system.

So far I have a paperweight and am getting annoyed. 20 years ago this would have been fun but I'm too busy with yes dear projects to have the time to spend an entire weekend trying to get the silly thing running. I don't want to spend money on it until I'm sure it works.

Suggestions?

Mac Pro, Other OS

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 3:03 PM

18 replies

Nov 4, 2015 8:57 PM in response to zorander6

Is this 10.2 discs you have the original gray discs that came with PowerMac G5?

The G5 1.8 model I believe shipped with a version of OS X 10.2 that was a greater point version. I think it was OS X 10.2.7 Jaguar

Also, later PowerMac G5's of the same vintage later shipped with OS X 10.3 Panther.

Does the bulit-in CD/DVD drive work?

Does the Mac Chime when you first power up?

Should be able to boot the CD/DVD in the optical drive by holding down the C key when the Mac first chimes.

Nov 5, 2015 8:52 AM in response to MichelPM

Unfortunately the cdrom drive does not appear to work as it does not find any disk bootable as far as I can tell. As for the hard drive it was a spare drive I had laying around but not at home to get the exact model. Think it's a seagate 120 GB if I recall correctly. I do have a spare working dvd drive that I'll try this weekend. As for the CD's they are white, don't recall the version but will post it tonight if I have a chance.

Edit: I also have not been able to get into open firmware. Am going to look at some thrift stores this weekend to see if I can find an apple keyboard that works.

Thanks

Nov 5, 2015 9:28 AM in response to zorander6

As long as you regard spending time on your 1.8 as a labour of passion / challenge you should enjoy it and not get too stressed, it isn't worth a great deal anymore. I have one with a power issue and with the original discs so if any help is needed I can verify my model against yours and disc versions etc.

As others have asked, does it chime up and give you a flashing question mark?

Nov 5, 2015 9:38 AM in response to markysparky100

Sorry missed that question, yes I do get the alternating mac face/question mark and am able to do alt into the boot menu but nothing is listed there no matter what I put in the cd drive (already planned to test with another but was hoping USB boot was an option.) I get the chimes every time I turn it on and the cd tray does open with the f12 key in the boot menu/manager.

Edit: C key has not worked but N key appears to work. Was looking at the bootcamp tool to try to push something to the system but haven't had a chance to try it.

Nov 5, 2015 10:44 AM in response to zorander6

Well chime means good.

Without racing away and trying lots of things it requires a logical step by step check of all variables involved otherwise you will go round in circles.

• Are the cd's the correct ones for your machine and are they in working condition? Can you post by what version they are and we can check.Have you a full version of a mac os like tiger or leopard you could borrow / try.
  • Is the cd drive in working condition,can it read other discs like linux boot cd's,it it connected properly,can you remove and test in another pc to be sure
  • Is the hard drive you are using in working condition.Can you install windows on it ok? Can you run a hard disk drive diagnostic software to make sure
  • Is your keyboard working correctly.Have you another usb one you could try.
  • You should be able to hold down 'c' and the bootable install cd's should spin up and you instigate the install of mac osx.
  • Others may correct me but i'm sure bootcamp is an intel thing and won't work.

Nov 5, 2015 11:03 AM in response to markysparky100

I'm pretty positive the CD's aren't the correct ones for the system, however I don't have access to any other cd's at this point. It's not reading any of the linux cd's I've tried either so I suspect the drive is D E D dead. The hard drive in the system was functional the last time I used it but I've got another drive I'm not using that I was going to sling into the system as well. I don't currently have a spare keyboard, my spare is being used by other family members a distance away. CD's do spin up when I hit C, just doesn't seem to be reading them.

At most the cd's are 10.2.3 but I think they are just straight 10.2 but I'll double check tonight when I get home.

I was just hoping that there was an easy way to build a bootable hard drive in windows that would work on the Mac to test it before I bought OS x. I'm not opposed to spending the 20$ or so for the system but I can't afford to spend the money if it's not going to work. (Darn those adult priorities.)

Edit: I also checked the cables on the superdrive when I was putting my spare drive in and they were secure.

Edit Part Deux: I also plan on throwing the spare DVD drive I have in as well this weekend. I have to take it out of my old PC but not a huge deal to do there. Not sure if the face plate is removable but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Nov 5, 2015 11:51 AM in response to zorander6

If you need a free OS for you G5 look at linux. I have never wrote the discs on Windows. Remember you need the PPC version of linux. I think Debian still has a PPC version. Bootcamp is for the intel macs. The mac os x firmware will ignore discs of Mac OS X that the machine doesn't support. Apple machines are a little different when it comes to what Mac OS X version of software they will run. Each mac has a range of Mac OS X it will support and that is it.

Given the serial number, this will provide more info on the machine you have.

This site provides more information. Best for older machines. Note, serial number is sent in the clear.

"A serial number is a unique, identifying number or group of numbers and letters assigned to an individual piece of hardware or software. It's used for various things depending on the product / brand but what is your Mac's serial number for and more importantly... what is it hiding and what can it do for you ?"

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

or

This site provides more information, but lacks security too.

"A serial number is a unique, identifying number or group of numbers and letters assigned to an individual piece of hardware or software. It's used for various things depending on the product / brand but what is your Mac's serial number for and more importantly... what is it hiding and what can it do for you ?"

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

( hint by K Shaffer )

Nov 5, 2015 12:08 PM in response to zorander6

If the discs are just 10.2 or 10.2.3,, those will NOT work. Macs won't boot a system that is lower than what came with it.

You'll need OS X 10.2.7 discs or better.

Failing that, you will need to find and purchase OEM Retail discs of either OS X 10.3 Panther or OS X 10.4 Tiger, OR retail OS 10.5 Leopard discs to use to boot that G5.

No other options are possible.

I am NOT sure if that model PowerMac G5 is even bootable over USB!

Almost ALL PowerMacs are bootable over FireWire, but NOT many over USB.

IF your external DVD drive is only USB, it may not work, either. Even with the proper discs.

You'll need an optical drive that has both USB AND FireWire.

Take a look at this site for more info about your PowerMac G5 model

http://www.everymac.com/

Nov 5, 2015 2:02 PM in response to MichelPM

Before throwing money at this machine and not just your time,I would personally beg borrow or steal a 'retail' copy of tiger or better,leopard and try to install using your plan of using the internal sata dvd drive you've got. If you can't get a copy then,before wasting money buying it for this old machine,i would check everything all works ok by using the correct flavour of linux for this power pc as others have said and then go from there.

Retail versions of leopard still exhange hands for decent money when in reality you would be better off treating yourself to a second hand mac mini which would comes with discs and save you energy running it and take up less space,add to that you would probably end up with an intel processor which would eat you rmachine alive.

Nov 5, 2015 3:17 PM in response to MichelPM

And I'm not knocking them because i think they are beautiful machines but unless you have the timeto kill and a little acrued knowledge it's a waste of your valuable time.I had three dual 1.8's in my time and they were all brilliant reliable machines which i resold for good money to people who wanted reliable simple file servers that would carry on regardless. But now i am down to one like yours that's psu has gone,a 2.7 dual which will chime when it feels like it and a Quad 2.5 beast which i could never afford when it came out but that is really testing my patience.I am fed up of lifting their heavy weight up onto my worktable all the time and i am seriously starting to understand the appeal of a laptop even though i've never regarded any laptop as a serious contender. My parents have a mac mini which it's dvd drive has failed (common) and hdd has failed (probably due to the heat) so they all fail in the end!

These things are sent to try us and many people would just bin them,perhaps they are the wisest of all of all.😁 But it's fun fixing stuff.

I reckon if you can get hold of a retail copy and do what you suggested you'll be fine.Doesn't sound much wrong with it.

Adventures in macintosh land

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.