Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't open...iTunes the same...

So I have a lot of issues going on with my iMac. I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I tried to update everything from Safari to iTunes and everything is up to date. I don't know if all these issue are linked but I thought this is worth a try. I have been to YouTube, read up on just about everything and yet nothing has worked. My Date and Time is spot on, I restarted and shut down my Mac and the same result keeps happening. I am hoping someone can give me a solution.

First, Safari won't open. When I click on the icon it shows the progress bar but nothing loads. All I get is the grey screen with no picture or website loaded. I did download Firefox and the internet works well but Safari does not work period. My internet connection is strong as my macbook and iphone all work well with the network.

Second, my iTunes will not connect to the store. I can go into my library and see updates in the apps but the iTunes store just says "Accessing iTunes Store..." and nothing loads. I tried signing out and signing back in. No real firewall issue to speak of. As far as I know it is the latest iTunes software. What else could be the issue?

Third, when I try to update my software to Yosemite or El Capitan it prompts me to go into my App Store. This function also does not connect to anything. It thinks for about 10 seconds and gives me the grey screen of death.

Are these issues connected? What options do I have short of shelling out a thousand dollars for a new iMac? I am desperate and will listen to any suggestions you have! Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to hearing a response.

Cheers!

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 4, 2015 7:23 PM

5 replies

Nov 5, 2015 7:38 AM in response to salty_dog_swagger

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Connecting to App Store Problems

Connecting to App Store Problems (2)

Nov 16, 2015 1:17 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

No such luck with the safe start and the reboot. I uninstalled a lot of third party software and restarted my computer with nothing plugged into the USB ports. It did start slower in the safe mode but when I try to connect to my itunes now it unexpectedly quits with a (-1200) message at the end.

I can get into my account information but nothing else. Are there any other ideas you would have from here? Would an iTunes uninstall be a good idea?

Thanks for your time and help.

Cheers,

Alan

Nov 17, 2015 10:31 AM in response to salty_dog_swagger

You are welcome.

Safari - Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

Safari/other browsers – Website not loading

Reinstalling iTunes might work. Quit iTunes. Try going to your user folder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist. Move the .plist to your Desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Safari won't open...iTunes the same...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.