Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages doesn't let me share documents through email anymore

It seems that after I upgraded my MacBook to the OS X El Captain I can no longer share a Pages (or Numbers) document through an email address anymore. I have always been able to hit the 'Share' icon, select the file format and then fill in the email address in the Mail window and hit send. The only options available are 'Notes' and 'Messages'. And I do not want to share with iCloud as sometimes I send documents to people who don't use it or have it.

Anyone else having this problem??

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10), Also iOS8.1 on iPad

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 9:31 AM

18 replies

Nov 5, 2015 7:22 PM in response to LBilowus

You are not showing a standard implementation for Pages v5.6, which would ordinarily have a populated menu as shown by Legofan613. However, you are the only one with this issue.

In System Preferences : Extensions : Share Menu, is Mail checked? If not, then select it, and quit System Preferences. Quit Pages, and either logout/login, or reboot. See if it has returned to your Pages v5.6 : Sharing : Send a Copy sub-menu.

Nov 6, 2015 3:00 AM in response to LBilowus

What should have been posted was: However, you are not the only one with this issue.

Follow the steps in this Apple article HT203129. This is the resolution for the missing Share menu items. You triple-click the scrollable content to select, and then copy/paste into the Terminal. You may have to select Mail in the System Preferences : Extensions : Share Menu again. Check that after you perform this procedure.

Nov 6, 2015 9:56 AM in response to LBilowus

Why is an important question, and I suspect that the System Launch Services database (what the lsregister command rebuilds) got corrupted. The lsregister command is also useful for clearing up any duplicate application entries that may appear on the right-click : Open with : sub-menu. I would bookmark the link to Apple's HT203129 article, as you may need it again in the future.

Enjoy your new capability in Pages.

Nov 7, 2015 1:21 PM in response to LBilowus

In System Preferences : Extensions : Mail, is it still available, but just unselected, or has it gone too? Ok, time to use my variation of the Apple command that didn't work for you. I just ran it here without incident or loss of Share items.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -seed -domain local -domain system -domain user

Nov 8, 2015 11:08 AM in response to LBilowus

In El Capitan, Apple introduced System Integrity Protection that blocks changes to System locations, even by superuser. You can temporarily disable this protective feature by booting into Recovery and running a command in the Terminal — once to disable it, and on another boot into Recovery, re-enable it. This article shows how to use this command. It cannot be used unless in the Recovery Terminal.

I think this may explain why the lsregister sequences are not sticking across reboots. Once you have disabled SIP, and rebooted normally, run the command string that I provided again, shutdown, and power up again to see if it has solved this vexing issue. Whether it has no hasn't, it is wise to enabled SIP again from that article above.

Nov 11, 2015 10:32 AM in response to LBilowus

Unless there is an obscure preferences list file somewhere that isn't getting updated, the last recourse before taking this to an Apple Genius bar is to perform a Safe Boot, that clears out some system caches and rebuilds them. It may or may not work. While in Safe Boot, it would be worthwhile seeing if those Send a Copy menu items appear as they should.

1. Physically shutdown the Mac (not Restart…).
  2. Press the power button, and then quickly press and hold the shift key until the horizontal progress bar is started.
  3. At the login prompt, observe the red letters, Safe Boot in the upper right corner of the screen.
  4. After you type your password, press and hold the shift key again, as you click the right-arrow to login-in. Keep pressing the shift key until your icons are repainted on your Desktop. Safe Boot is interactively slower than a normal boot.
  5. Test Pages to see if the Mail menu item has returned.
  6. Reboot normally.

Nov 22, 2015 1:55 PM in response to VikingOSX

I did not perform this latest suggestion of starting a Safe Boot. Had a busy week. What I did do on the 20th was run that Apple command again (/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Launch Services.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -seed -domain local -domain system -domain user) just to use the 'Mail' option for a couple of emails I was working on. The next day I started up my Mac again and the options to either 'Mail' or 'Air Drop' were still available and I didn't have to do anything. So it mysteriously fixed itself. Hmmmmm. I'm thrilled but yet intrigued as to how it got fixed.

Pages doesn't let me share documents through email anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.