Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to connect Apple TV 4 to external Audio?

I have a sky tv box connected to a video projector and an external 5:1 audio system. How can I run an Apple TV 4 through this?

I also have an Apple TV2 with an optical digital out . no problem.

There is no digital out on the Apple TV 4.....

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 10:27 AM

4 replies

Dec 2, 2015 1:37 AM in response to SpudM

This is the set up and audio extractor I have purchased to try and get audio out of the latest Apple TV (4th gen). A NEET HDMI 3D compatible audio convertor. HA-110SAN, to allow analogue audio to be extracted to my NAIM pre/power audio amp, on its way to my Optoma 3D Projector. It also has optical out, and coaxial out ports on the back.

User uploaded file

Cant tell you yet whether it works, as I ain't got the AppleTV box yet, it's a complete shot in the dark as to whether it will work or not. I really think Apple's removal of an inbuilt audio out option was a bad move. I'll let you know if it DONT work when I get the box.

Dec 8, 2015 10:00 AM in response to SpudM

The Neet box worked fine with the AppleTV 4th Gen for viewing Game of Thrones Season 5 in Hi-Def, very occasionally I was aware of tiny leaps, where there is a jump of maybe 1/10 of a second - only noticeable on slow scenes. During the whole season of GoT it happened about 6 times, I also had one complete seize, where sound kept playing but the picture was stuck, which required me to restart GoT. I can't say whether these issues were anything to do with the Neet extractor, or an issue with the AppleTV 4th Gen. However the issues were so small as to not cause me any problems. I'd prefer Apple to have put a native audio output on the device in the first place, it's just a faff on for customers with higher end audio set ups.

On a side note... I found the Wi-Fi connection flakey with my router, so moved to a wired network connection which worked fine. Can't get 'remote' to work with my iPhone. Found imputing characters with the remote that comes with the box an excruciating experience. I found the pricing of past content weird, 'films & tv shows', I could find most things far cheaper on Amazon, and you got a nice disc with it to give some confidence that it will be available for some time. I'm still uncertain about how long things I've purchased on AppleTV will hang around, will they be available when I upgrade to the next AppleTV... who knows, it all seems a little opaque and unclear to me.

Is there any way to connect Apple TV 4 to external Audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.