Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message sender's name not appearing on lock screen

Since a few months ago, a contact's name stopped appearing on the lock screen of my iPhone 4s (iOS 9.1) when I received a message from them - just their phone number. Additionally, by necessity, they have their own message tone and ringtone but the default ringtone is played instead.

As I mentioned, this worked perfectly well for at least two years. I have tried resetting the network settings, restored from backup, deleted contact and saved it again from the dialogue in a received message but it simply refuses to show their name or play their personalised tones.

It is probably significant that they do not have an iPhone and that their messages are coming via SMS but I can't see any settings which may account for the odd behaviour. But it is quite important for reasons of priority that they at least have an individual text tone.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

iPhone 4S, iOS 9.1, 32GB

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 12:29 PM

1 reply

Nov 25, 2015 5:41 AM in response to Alf Megson

Five other people have clicked to say that they also have this problem so if anybody gets an e-mail hoping for a solution after I post this response, I am sorry that I don't have an answer - just more information.

I have discovered over the past couple of weeks, having had SMS exchanges with a number of people who don't have iPhones that only people who are using Apple's iMessage service have their ID shown when I receive a message; that is to say that if a message arrives via SMS, the number and not the person's name is shown.

As a last resort, I spoke to technical support at my mobile provider who said that it is unlikely that it is a network problem, and I tend to agree - if the number is in my address book, then the iPhone/iOS should pick that up and display it. However, they are sending me a new SIM just to eliminate it as a possible culprit.

Generally, though, I am mystified why such a simple thing which has been integral to mobile phones as long as I can remember, is somehow so difficult for me to put right.

Message sender's name not appearing on lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.