Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud-created SMTP won't connect (OS X 10.11.1)

Hey all,

I hope one of you can help me out, because the following is starting to drive me mad.

Ever since upgrading to 10.11 (and 10.11.1 subsequently) Mac Mail just refuses to connect to my iCloud SMTP.

Server was always p02-smtp.mail.me.com (grayed out, can't change it - entered by iCloud preferences auto config)

The "p02-"prefix is the same on my IMAP, which is working fine.

Authentication was always Apple Token, tried both with and without username / password (supposed the username would be xyz@icloud.com or xyz@me.com, so including @domain)

Tried the following:

- logged out of iCloud and back in

- unchecked and rechecked "Mail" as an option within iCloud preference panel

- edited the SMTP server to port 25 without SSL

- edited the SMTP server to port 587 with and without SSL

- edited the SMTP server to port 465 with SSL

No results.

According to the connection check, the server doesn't even answer and open a socket for a login.

On a side note, the SMPT configuration first defined by auto configuration through the iCloud pref panel had no Port defined (0) and authentication was set to none. Didn't work either...

The real fun part is that the SAME config (server names, port 587 SSL, authentication Apple Token w/o credentials) is straightaway working on my iOS9 mobile.

THIS *****!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Model 2011 early

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 1:57 PM

Delete the account, then add it back. After filling in the 1st screen, hold down the option/alt key while clicking Continue. Fill in the necessary information, then click continue until all screens are filled in.

Mail Server Information

3 replies

Nov 6, 2015 1:08 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric, but the account wasn't added the usual way (Internet accounts -> add -> configure) but via the iCloud pref panel (iCloud -> login -> tick "Mail" -> auto config -> account appears in Mail and Internet accounts).

Thus you can't remove it the usual way via Internet accounts. Trying to do so will result in an error "This account is also being used for other services. Please use the iCloud panel for configuration" (not literally quoted, but that's the core message).

Anyways - I just found out that the connection error is not caused by the software configuration, but most probably by my router. Using the account with the given settings via cell network works. Switching to WiFi screws it.

Funny point is that six other SMTP-accounts DO work well via port 587 / SSL

Will dig into this and return.

Nov 6, 2015 2:20 AM in response to f.mueller

Alright, fixed this on my own.

The culprit isn't the OS, but my router, which is (per factory defaults) using a mail server whitelist. Bummer. Which doesn't include ANY Mac server. Neither imap.me.com nor smtp.me.com nor any permutation of these. HUGE Bummer.

Who'd expected this...

Model is Telekom Speedport Hybrid (similar to Speedport W724v where the issue has been solved by the ISP), so German guys, be aware! 🙂

iCloud-created SMTP won't connect (OS X 10.11.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.