Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I remove Search Genius

I have viruses that enabled something called "Search Genius" to pop up on all my browsers. How do I get rid of it. I cant find it on any simple searches of my computer hard drive.

iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 3:20 PM

You inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Review your Gatekeeper settings: OS X : About Gatekeeper - Apple Support. Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent you from inadvertently installing garbage software.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Jurkovich

You inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Review your Gatekeeper settings: OS X : About Gatekeeper - Apple Support. Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent you from inadvertently installing garbage software.

Nov 26, 2015 8:21 PM in response to alex manara1

I figured out a solution. First, I downloaded Malwarebytes (https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/) a free program that will find and delete all adware or malware on your computer. Second, after that is done you need to go into each browser and reset your home page AND reset your search engine. Instructions for that can be found here: https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/portal/articles/2045716-?b_id=9511

That is all you need. Hope this helps.

how do I remove Search Genius

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.